Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Ovehearting and irritations...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default Ovehearting and irritations...

Ok so my jeeps been overheating after about 30-40 miles drive. Been pointed towards the thermostat. Got the thermostat, gasket, and sealant...WHERE THE **** IS THE THERMOSTAT?! >.< I followed hte large black rubber hose to the engine removed it drained the boiling anti freeze slash rusty mud water all over my hand and to my suprise theres no thermostat int here like a guide i read had suggested. So....does anyone have any pictures or refrences for a 92 cherokee laredo? For the love of god im getting so frustrated... Still need to get a new nss on there! Will only start if i hold the parking break back bout 1/8th inch.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Usually, an engine that has no t-stat will run too cool. Sounds to me like rusty mud (lack of maintenance) is just one of a number of things that may cause your overheating.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:04 PM

Year: 1988
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4l

x2
Old 08-23-2010, 10:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Still does anyone have any diagrams of the cooling system so i can see where to find the thermostat? Im going to have to put new fluids in it anyways and i already have the part so id rather just stick it in to be sure.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:40 AM
Seasoned Member

Ok well i found it. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/rep...00c152800a9a27 Heres a useful diagram if anyone in the future ever needs it... I found out there was no thermostat in it at all. But i got it put in and sealed up real nice. Also on the engine coolant resevoir is there only supposed to be 1 hose coming off of it? My sister owned a jeep way back when and hers had 2 but the second hose was on the bottom. Theres no spot for a second hose on the bottom however on the front top area of my resevoir theres a U shaped joint with an ovalish opening. Looks to me like if the water was to boil over it would drain out that hole instead of causing the tank to burst. Then at the very top of the tank thats where the one hose is connected. Just wondering if anyone knows more about this. Mine is a 92 cherokee laredo 2wd 4.0l v6. Ill take pics tomorrow. This is my project car. My first car and my only car until it stops breathin! Im gradually going to replace everything and upgrade it piece by piece. Next step after the NSS is the muffler because mine has holes in it and it sounds like im driving a tank.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Started the jeep up this morning. Apparently i didnt reattach the bottom hose right. It gave out and poured most my coolant on the ground. Re attached it and refilled the radiator.

There was no thermostat in it before but i put one in last night and i removed all old coolant and put in fresh coolant. However after i got it refilled the second time....it overheated within 5 minuites just sitting there.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:02 PM

Year: 1993, 1994
Engine: 4.0L HO

If the coolant was all rusty, chances are your radiator is clogged.