Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Out of Ideas, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Out of Ideas, need help!

Ok, let me give you the scenario. Guy I know was trading an oil change on my jeep for some stuff I helped him out with. We knew I had a oil leak but never could really figure out where it was coming from. He decided to power wash it to get all the old grime off, to make it easier to see. The problems started out after that.

Started out with it wouldn't want to start and no power but would still idle ok, so I though maybe some water got in the distributor cap. Took it off, there was a fair bit of corrosion so I replaced the rotor, the cap, wires and plugs. Drove it for maybe a day, then it started where it wouldn't idle, would just steadily drop rpms until it died. Checked all the vacuum lines, thinking maybe one of them got torn or the power washer blew the grim that was holding it together off. They all seem fine. So I then mover over to the throttle body, found corrosion on the idle air module, replace that, then it would idle, but super high at 2,800-3000 rpms. So I figure the MAP sensor must be off, so I replace that, and....nothing, still idles super high. Where would you guys look first for vacuum leaks? Any Thoughts?

Last edited by SV_XJ; 06-28-2014 at 05:27 PM. Reason: added details
Old 06-28-2014, 05:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I think In IL you can get the codes read free at the parts store. (beats buying parts!). In the future, power-washing, you stay clear of the manifolds/TB, and the dizzy. I've seen posted the TPS doesn't like getting wet......
Old 06-28-2014, 05:35 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 I6

Ok, I'll try that. I've never really done it because I've always been told that on an older jeep (96) It isn't the most accurate read. Also I forgot to mention its been sticking in first gear a little longer then normal as far as when it should shift vs rpms.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I guess the TPS is pretty important. The puter' likes to know where your foot is to control things like shifting, fuel, timing and stuff. You might just check/clean the connections. I've been having a booger with my IAC plug, keeps fouling up.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:08 PM

keep in mind, the error code isn't always a diagnosis, frankly most of the time its not.. it just means a sensor is out or parameter. since it was washed, my guess is water is somewhere its not supposed to be. check for moisture inside the distributor. i would also start checking all the electrical connectors, also if ya 4 wheel that thing, might want to think about cleaning the electrical plugs and adding some new dielectric grease to keep moisture out.. that might not be the cause of the problem, but its good preventative maintenance.. especially if you ford water with it..