Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Options for replacing bad cluster aside from new factory unit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 04:34 PM
IJM
CF Veteran

Received 273 Likes on 204 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Options for replacing bad cluster aside from new factory unit?

I've been having automatic transmission problems recently with my '98 XJ 4.0 where it skips 2nd gear and won't lock up in 4th. I figured it was one of the solenoids going bad, but I didn't have time to deal with it and took it to the local Jeep dealer to chase the problem.

After much diagnosis, they called to tell me it's nothing with the transmission itself or the TCU, and they've identified the problem as some sort of electrical issue with the instrument cluster that's causing a bad signal in the bus and affecting the transmission control.

OK, fine, they'll replace the cluster and be done with it. I've pulled it before to fix a bad connection (haven't we all?), so I know it's not a labor-intensive job. They just quoted me a price, and ho-lee crap is it expensive. I'm assuming a new factory cluster is $$$, and they'll need to have it pre-programmed so the mileage is correct.

At this point I'm thinking I'll pay them for all the diagnostic work and just source and replace the cluster myself and save a boatload of cash. I guess I have two questions here: First, is there a good place short of the local junk yard to find a new cluster? It's a '98, so it has the one with all the gauges. Second, how do I adjust the mileage to be correct?

FWIW, I normally do all my own work, but I'm not an automatic transmission guy (just bough it in January) and didn't have a good independent Jeep shop nearby.

Last edited by IJM; 06-24-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

eBay...Craigslist for someone parting out an XJ.

Sorry, not sure of the years of that would work for you.

Regarding mileage...you obviously would most likely be screwed BUT you could verify your problem is solved and possibly find a third party to set it even if you had to over-night it off and back.

And don't just look locally. I have purchased parts from all over the U.S. People usually can gather from an email if you are honest.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Model: Cherokee

http://www.aaellc.com/

Should be able to ship you one with the correct mileage programmed.