Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Opinions please (wheels, tires, springs)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Opinions please (wheels, tires, springs)

Hey, I've been reading here and several other places for a few weeks now trying to decide what I want to do with the wife's XJ. It's a '98 Sport 4WD, 4.0 auto. I put some cheap shocks on it a few months back, and have replaced front sway bar bushings (need to do the back). It's all pretty much stock with 132k miles, and sagging rear end. We bought it in June with Kumho Solus tires. They seem to be a decent tire, but while this is the wife's daily driver we live on the side of a hill down a gravel road, and intend to take it camping next year, and possibly some light trails.

So, my wants for now are new springs and new tires. I've been thinking heavy duty stock height springs from Quadratec, but I see the ProComp springs can be had for about $100 less. I've seen a few guys say the PC springs were fine, and some say they didn't get much lift. I really don't want much lift, just would like to get the rear back up, and feel comfortable pulling my 5x10 utility trailer. A nice ride on/off road doesn't hurt either. So, I'm kinda thinking about getting the ProComp springs, and if they don't lift much great, if they do get a set of 1" spacers for the front coils, and be done with it. A slight bit of forward rake won't bother us any. Much better than what we have now (which is rather deceiving the pic posted. The way it's sitting makes the rear look much higher than it is).

Next, I've been looking at tires. Really wanting to just stay with the same diameter (225/75/15). I've been reading up on the Dunlop Rovers, and was really considering them (trying not to break the bank here on a daily driver that won't be in anything serious offroad), but tonight I was in Sam's Club and saw the Goodyear Wrangler AmorTrac (Sam's Exclusive). I can't seem to find much info on them, but they are $15 cheaper, and Sam's currently has GY's on sale $50 off a set. So, really thinking about going with them, but haven't been able to find much info on them...

and finally (what I really intended to start this thread about), I'm just curious what everyone here would use for wheels. Currently have the 5 stars as seen in the pix, but I have a set of (what I call) turbines on my Belvedere. They came from an older XJ. I'm really thinking about putting the turbines on, and selling the 5 stars. My wife doesn't really care either way, but I can't really decide...

So, what are your thoughts here everyone? Very sorry for the long read on my 2nd or 3rd post... but thanks for reading!

Old 11-14-2009, 01:06 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 (74,000miles)

I think my heads spinnin from all that reading.

Check the rough country springs out.
Nice color too!
Old 11-14-2009, 03:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

I can't really answer the question about the springs.

For tire size, I'd go with 235/75/15. That's what I have on my stock '99. The don't rub at all. I believe this is the largest you can go on stock suspension without any rubbing. Not really sure about the Sam's Club tires, though.

I'd keep the wheels you have on it now. It's more of a personal preference, but I don't like seeing wheels from an older vehicle on a newer vehicle.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:47 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: I6ho

ProComp springs... I've never heard anyone say they offer a nice ride... same for their shocks and tires. Personally, I would steer clear of all things marked ProComp if ride comfort is part of your concerns.
If you plan on loading the back up with a few days worth of water/food/gear, I think a medium duty spring would be ideal. But, you said you don’t want much/any lift…
Given that, I would look at a set of stock replacement leafs and have a local shop set them up with an overload spring. Quadratech offers medium duty replacement springs, but I’ve never heard anyone comment on how they ride or how much (if any) they lift the rig.
I would like to tell you to go with Old Man Emu springs, but, they’ll lift the rig 2” and you’d have to purchase new shocks… $$$.

Tires… my theory is the 2 most important components of any vehicle is tires and brakes.
So, I do not deal shop on tires, rather purchase the tire that most suits the job and suck up the $.
Since you mentioned tackling some trails, I would recommend an all terrain tire.
There are a lot of good all-terrain tires, however my favorite is the BFG A/T-ko. I’ve had several sets. They ride nice, are quiet last forever and are reasonably tough (never tore one off road).
If you go to tirerack.com you can select a tire you are interested in, and click the option to compare similar tires... pretty cool.

I too would go with 235/75-15.

Good luck.

Last edited by Mike H.; 11-14-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

The pic of that car is odd, it looks like a small plastic model
Old 11-14-2009, 12:19 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 6

I think the turbines look great on your Belve - keep the wheels you have on the jeep
Old 11-14-2009, 12:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 liter H.O. I-6

Originally Posted by Mike H.
ProComp springs... I've never heard anyone say they offer a nice ride... same for their shocks and tires. Personally, I would steer clear of all things marked ProComp if ride comfort is part of your concerns.
If you plan on loading the back up with a few days worth of water/food/gear, I think a medium duty spring would be ideal. But, you said you don’t want much/any lift…
Given that, I would look at a set of stock replacement leafs and have a local shop set them up with an overload spring. Quadratech offers medium duty replacement springs, but I’ve never heard anyone comment on how they ride or how much (if any) they lift the rig.
I would like to tell you to go with Old Man Emu springs, but, they’ll lift the rig 2” and you’d have to purchase new shocks… $$$.

Tires… my theory is the 2 most important components of any vehicle is tires and brakes.
So, I do not deal shop on tires, rather purchase the tire that most suits the job and suck up the $.
Since you mentioned tackling some trails, I would recommend an all terrain tire.
There are a lot of good all-terrain tires, however my favorite is the BFG A/T-ko. I’ve had several sets. They ride nice, are quiet last forever and are reasonably tough (never tore one off road).
If you go to tirerack.com you can select a tire you are interested in, and click the option to compare similar tires... pretty cool.

I too would go with 235/75-15.

Good luck.
x2!
Old 11-14-2009, 12:59 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 (74,000miles)

Originally Posted by 95Cherokee
The pic of that car is odd, it looks like a small plastic model
Thats what I was thinkin!
Looks like its the only thing thats focused, everything else is blurry.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:33 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I think I may just leave the 5 stars on to reduce the hassle in juggling wheels and tires when it comes time.

As far as tires, I'm still undecided. I really want BFG Rugged Trails or Long Trails (not long Trail Tour), but they're not offered in 15" . I think the Wranglers or Rovers are a good compromise. When I say trails, I'm not talking anything much worse than our driveway. I'm not going rock crawling in this thing. The BFG KO's are great tires, but I think a little more aggressive than this particular Jeep needs. It still sees a lot of highway time, and I need a tire that will last as long as possible... I may go with 235 if the tires I want are available in that size. I checked the door though yesterday, and our XJ came with 215's, so a little bump in diameter if I stay with a 75 series.

and I'm still in the air on springs. I'll do some more reading. I don't mind a small lift, but don't want to go too high. My wife is short, and the Jeep is currently the perfect height for her, and she drives this thing 90% of the time. I just want to get something that is going to be a decent ride (it's a Jeep, not looking for Cadillac comfort) and won't be sagging two weeks after install. I'm also not looking to get too involved. If I can get by with 2" lift spring, my current shocks all around, and possibly a 1" spacer up front if needed that's fine. I just don't want to start having to worrying about pinion angle, longer arms, etc, etc... I've got too many projects as it is, this is a daily driver...

Oh, and BTW, there are two ways to get the effect in the Belvedere picture... a telescopic lens or photoshop. I cheated, and went with photoshop...

Last edited by closer9; 11-15-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:41 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

Originally Posted by closer9
Thanks for all the replies. I think I may just leave the 5 stars on to reduce the hassle in juggling wheels and tires when it comes time.

As far as tires, I'm still undecided. I really want BFG Rugged Trails or Long Trails (not long Trail Tour), but they're not offered in 15" . I think the Wranglers or Rovers are a good compromise. When I say trails, I'm not talking anything much worse than our driveway. I'm not going rock crawling in this thing. The BFG KO's are great tires, but I think a little more aggressive than this particular Jeep needs. It still sees a lot of highway time, and I need a tire that will last as long as possible... I may go with 235 if the tires I want are available in that size. I checked the door though yesterday, and our XJ came with 215's, so a little bump in diameter if I stay with a 75 series.

and I'm still in the air on springs. I'll do some more reading. I don't mind a small lift, but don't want to go too high. My wife is short, and the Jeep is currently the perfect height for her, and she drives this thing 90% of the time. I just want to get something that is going to be a decent ride (it's a Jeep, not looking for Cadillac comfort) and won't be sagging two weeks after install. I'm also not looking to get too involved. If I can get by with 2" lift spring, my current shocks all around, and possibly a 1" spacer up front if needed that's fine. I just don't want to start having to worrying about pinion angle, longer arms, etc, etc... I've got too many projects as it is, this is a daily driver...

Oh, and BTW, there are two ways to get the effect in the Belvedere picture... a telescopic lens or photoshop. I cheated, and went with photoshop...
I have the bfg lts on my jeep and there a great road tire, but if your ever expecting any mud or slippery off road surface dont even wast your money, there a road tire and thats it.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by 00XJ
I have the bfg lts on my jeep and there a great road tire, but if your ever expecting any mud or slippery off road surface dont even wast your money, there a road tire and thats it.
Do you have Radial Long Trail T/A or Long Trail T/A Tour?
Old 11-16-2009, 08:22 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

Originally Posted by closer9
Do you have Radial Long Trail T/A or Long Trail T/A Tour?
I have the radials
Old 11-16-2009, 08:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001

The wheels you have are called Ecco wheels, FYI. Very nice wheels and I would stick with them.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:27 PM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

walmarts got some BFG's and almost have the AT look but not so much... i see them like crazy now on vehicles all the time... cant remember what they were called though... i think they were a fair price also...
Old 11-16-2009, 09:38 PM

Year: 1987

You talking about the Wrangler DuraTrac's at walmart?

Quick Reply: Opinions please (wheels, tires, springs)