Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Opinions needed. Transmission issue What should i do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l inline 6, bored tb.
Default Opinions needed. Transmission issue What should i do?

Alright if you have seen lately i have been making alot of posts regarding my transmission issue. (intermittent lockup) My question is with all the problems should i just replace the tranny with a used 90,000 mile one and new torque converter? If you could look up all my posts regarding this issue and let me know your honest opinion it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys excess650 is helping me alot im just getting confused and am not the best at electronics. If any of you see what he is saying and get it could you maybe better explain what he is talking about me doing.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: ERH 4.0L 16 Power Tech

Originally Posted by 98jeepcher
Alright if you have seen lately i have been making alot of posts regarding my transmission issue. (intermittent lockup) My question is with all the problems should i just replace the tranny with a used 90,000 mile one and new torque converter? If you could look up all my posts regarding this issue and let me know your honest opinion it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys excess650 is helping me alot im just getting confused and am not the best at electronics. If any of you see what he is saying and get it could you maybe better explain what he is talking about me doing.
If excess650 is helping you he is the best source of info. He is knowledgeable and has actually worked on the transmission rather than just repeating what someone else has said on another post. If you can't/won't follow his instructions then take it to someone who CAN do the job and shell out the bucks.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0l inline 6, bored tb.

Thanks man just trying to get opinions and see if anybody can explain this half tapping thing. I am grateful for his help but just a little confused.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

OK, try this....find the wt/bk (white with black tracer)wire at the 7 pin connector near the trans dipstick, OR the same wire going into the TCU plug under the glove box. Remove a little insulation and wrap some wire around it copper to copper. Tape the half-tap to keep the wires together and prevent an inadvertent short. The other end of the wire you attached needs to be in the passenger compartment along with a ground wire. Attach to the leads of your VOM set to read 12v, hopefully an auto-range meter just set to volts DC. Observe the voltage when at idle, when in lockup and when you lose lockup.

There should be no voltage when not in lockup and 12v when in lockup. If you're still observing 12v when you lose lockup, either the solenoid or wire to the solenoid are defective. If there is no voltage or low voltage when you lose lockup, its an electrical issue outside of the trans. If the latter, there would be no need to replace the trans.

When you've completed testing to your satisfaction, remove the half-tap wire that you installed and tape the exposed harness wiring.