Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Is it ok to wash the engine bay?

Old 07-03-2011, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Is it ok to wash the engine bay?

Do I have to protect/remove anything before I powerwash my engine bay? I know these things can be submerged in water but this is on my 01, which I dont really hardcore offroad with. Thanks
Old 07-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

No matter what you cover/protect, if you power wash the engine bay you will be walking to work for a week
Old 07-03-2011, 03:54 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: Straight 6 4.0L

I just washed my engine bay about 30 min ago. I wouldnt power wash it, but i would go down to your local parts store and get a degreaser and use a regular hose it worked pretty good for mine. Just make sure your engine cools off before using. Make sure you dont get your distributer soaking wet or your fuel injectors soaking wet. I used a 3in1 engine degreaser it was an orange can that i got 4 around 4 bucks, if you get like 1 or 2 cans you should be good.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

U can wash it, use some foaming engine decreaser, and rinse it off with a hose, dont use a power washer.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L (242 cid) I-6

I've used engine degreaser and a power washer to clean it. Mine fired right up about ten to fifteen minutes later when I went to start it. I've also cleaned my engine bay with degreaser and then a regular hose. I think it's fine either way you go, just make sure you don't soak electrical components.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999 Sport
Engine: I6

You should cover your distributor and coil, and DONT use a pressure washer. NO NEED! Completely overkill and it could put water into places it shouldnt be. Dont completely SOAK anything. Keep the water to a minimum and keep it moving. Use The Pink Stuff and a garden hose and you should be all set. Might need some scrubbing if there is oil caked on in places, or a couple go-rounds, but The Pink Stuff and a hose should do a fine job.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0L

I power wash mine after every mud adventure or before i work on it, so 5 or 6 times a year. never had a problem just dont spray directly on the distributer. I hate oily or dirty engine compartments!!
The following users liked this post:
OutbackOz (10-13-2020)
Old 07-03-2011, 06:39 PM

Has anyone ever used CD-2? It's an engine dressing NOT a cleaner. Spray on ur entire engine compartment after u degrease it, makes it look brand new!! Also conditions the rubber on hoses and such. Definitely a must use.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Willys55
No matter what you cover/protect, if you power wash the engine bay you will be walking to work for a week
Hmmm, funny, I do mine once a month and it starts right up every time. Sounds like you may need a mechanic to look at your jeep. Maybe loose wiring or something when the water hits it.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:54 PM

Year: 2000

What about a pressure washer on normal flow instead of pulling the trigger? {and avoiding the electrical parts}.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 5.2L

Originally Posted by Willys55
every vehicle I have ever owned, I have routinely washed the engine bay, never covered ANYTHING either. Never have had a single problem.

Im also not an idiot and dont spray right into the distributor, main wire harness plugs, or the alternator. usually just wet everything, degrease, let it sit for 20 min or so, then rinse off with LOW pressure.

if you cant wash an engine bay, then you are doing it wrong.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cherokee.Dreamer
I just washed my engine bay about 30 min ago. I wouldnt power wash it, but i would go down to your local parts store and get a degreaser and use a regular hose it worked pretty good for mine. Just make sure your engine cools off before using. Make sure you dont get your distributer soaking wet or your fuel injectors soaking wet. I used a 3in1 engine degreaser it was an orange can that i got 4 around 4 bucks, if you get like 1 or 2 cans you should be good.
Damn man, I had to do a double take.. I thought this was my Jeep! haha!

Name:  DSC07350.jpg
Views: 10173
Size:  76.6 KB
Old 07-03-2011, 06:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 5.2L

Originally Posted by donkeypunch
Has anyone ever used CD-2? It's an engine dressing NOT a cleaner. Spray on ur entire engine compartment after u degrease it, makes it look brand new!! Also conditions the rubber on hoses and such. Definitely a must use.
way too greasy IMO, and it just attracts dirt.

I usually use a water-based dressing, the same stuff I use on interiors and tires (car tires). I usually get meguiars hyper-dressing by the gallon and dillute it accordingly.

some people like to use tire shine, but again I think thats way too sticky and attracts everything to it.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by E-Rok
every vehicle I have ever owned, I have routinely washed the engine bay, never covered ANYTHING either. Never have had a single problem.

Im also not an idiot and dont spray right into the distributor, main wire harness plugs, or the alternator. usually just wet everything, degrease, let it sit for 20 min or so, then rinse off with LOW pressure.

if you cant wash an engine bay, then you are doing it wrong.

Actually, you really don't even need a pressure washer. The right cleaner will do. I actually use this stuff called Awesome. It's a concentrated cleaner. Rips the mud right off of everything. Then I use aluminum wheel cleaner on the intake, water pump and any aluminum housings or brackets. Let it all sit for about 5-10 minutes and just hit it with the hose. I use it on the "cone" setting not the full blast. Just being careful around the electrical especially the computer. I also wouldn't use the powerwasher on the radiator and condensor because the fins are soft. you bent them then you cut down your airflow. Once it's all clean, I use a Matte finish tire shine lightly on the rubber parts. but that's only if it's in a car show.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:21 AM

I was debating getting the "shine" but its a jeep, it doesnt need shine, but I dont like a neglected engine compartment, so I bought the heavy duty cleaner, also I dont have a distributor, I guess they put coil packs in the later model I6's

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is it ok to wash the engine bay?