Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Is it OK if ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 01:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0
Default Is it OK if ...

Some people think it's no good if you tow other cars with your automatic transmission car??

Is it a correct infor??
Old 09-10-2008, 04:17 AM

Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee

Sorry, misread the question.

Last edited by junkyarddawg00; 09-10-2008 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:42 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Dawg I think he mears using your automatic vehicle to tow with not be towed.
And if that is right Arab then it is OK for light towing like small cars and light trailers. But not something heavy like a truck or another car. I also assume you mean using your Cherokee as a tow vehicle.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by junkyarddawg00
It is not wise to flat tow your vehicle with an automatic transmission. What happens is the driveshaft spins the output shaft of the transmission, which causes the gears inside the transmission to also spin. What happens is the engine isn't running, so the fluid pump in the front of the transmission isn't turning as well, which means it doesn't pump transmission fluid to the gears that are spinning out back. This causes a lack of lubrication, and that means friction. And friction means parts wear out very quickly, especially in a tranny. If you have a 4x4 that has a neutral position in the transfer case, you can place the transfer case in the neutral position and tow with no worries of burning up the transmission. Otherwise, your only other option is to pull the driveshaft or driveshafts at the axle differential or differentials, and tie them up to the bottom of the vehicle, out of the way. This way they don't spin the transmission. Just don't forget to set the emergency brake when you are done towing!
It's a good idea to disconnect the rear driveshaft prior to towing. This eliminates the problem. This is for BEING towed, not towing.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
Dawg I think he mears using your automatic vehicle to tow with not be towed.
And if that is right Arab then it is OK for light towing like small cars and light trailers. But not something heavy like a truck or another car. I also assume you mean using your Cherokee as a tow vehicle.
I think he means using your automatic vehicle to tow with not be towed.
yes, that's correct. thank you
Old 09-13-2008, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by muddeprived
It's a good idea to disconnect the rear driveshaft prior to towing. This eliminates the problem. This is for BEING towed, not towing.
thankx alot
Old 09-14-2008, 08:40 AM

Location: tan house white shutters key's under the flower pot
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by muddeprived
if you pull the d shaft on a jeep w/ a slip yoke the fluid can come out the back of the t case. the only way to do it is if you're real confident you can plug the hole real nice. i wouldn't do it, cuz if you lose your fluid you'll ruin the t case.

seen it done when people take it out after breaking something and driving home in 4 wd with the front wheels.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:50 AM
Renix Super Guru

We are talking about towing and the rear driveshaft is disconnected from the rear differential and tied up out of the way. The transfercase is in neutral and you can safely flat tow that way. In fact the retirees that flock here every winter often flat tow with the transfer case in neutral with nothing disconnected and then drive all around for 6 months with no ill effects.
Besides if you read carefully he wants to use the Cherokee to flat tow another vehicle (non-Cherokee) Might be a Navajo or a Apache IDK.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:52 AM

Year: 1998

Ive never had any problems towing with our XJ, Pulled a 4500lb trailer with no problems, make sure its got brakes and you have a brake controller, that definately helps. on the highway dont worry about making time, just stay at 65-70 mph or so and youll be fine, otherwise its a lot more stress on your tranny running the higher rpms with that much extra weight
Old 09-14-2008, 09:42 AM

i agree blue, just don't remove the d shaft is all i'm sayin.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jpdocdave
if you pull the d shaft on a jeep w/ a slip yoke the fluid can come out the back of the t case. the only way to do it is if you're real confident you can plug the hole real nice. i wouldn't do it, cuz if you lose your fluid you'll ruin the t case.

seen it done when people take it out after breaking something and driving home in 4 wd with the front wheels.
I'm not sure what year jeep he has. The newer np231's won't leak fluid if you remove the shaft.
Old 09-14-2008, 03:21 PM

any slip yoke t case will leak fluid out the tail housing. the d shaft is the only thing that the out put seal, seals against. doesn't mean it will leak the second you pull the shaft, but under the right circumstance you can lose all your fluid.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:52 PM

I tow 3000-3500 lbs with my 99 XJ with the AW4 tranny. I had to put a tranny cooler to help things out, but other then that I have never had any issues. Having electric brakes on the trailer would be nice, though.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:10 AM

Wink

It's too much for me
could you pliz sumarize it

Old 09-17-2008, 03:53 AM
Renix Super Guru

Originally Posted by Arab1970
It's too much for me
could you pliz sumarize it

Basically if you are towing a car with an automatic transmission if you remove the driveshaft so that the rearend (rear differential) can not turn it while the vehicle is moving then you can now safely tow that vehicle.

On a manual vehicle that is being towed that is not required. You need only place the transmission into neutral.

The reason that the automatic vehicle needs the driveshaft to be removed is that the rear pump in the transmission is made to pump fluid that is not there when the transmission is not being moved internally by the engine running. This lack of fluid will eventually (very short time) burn up the impeller parts of the pump.

Hope that summary is an explanation that is understandable.

Quick Reply: Is it OK if ...