Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Oil Pressure Gauge On After Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Oil Pressure Gauge On After Oil Change

Strange thing happened. I changed the oil in my 98 Cherokee 4x4 yesterday. A shop did it last time and overtightened both the oil fill screw cap and the the oil filter itself. The oil fill cap broke off as I tried to unscrew it and I crushed the crud out of the filter while removing it (who cares). Anyhow, I replaced the filter and added new oil and put a new oil screw cap back on and after starting up my Jeep, the oil pressure gague warning light came on and has remianed on.

I have the basic trim model on my Cherokee with manual windows, door locks, etc., and the "cheap" dash console, which only has the oil icon that lights up with an perceived oil problem and does not actually show any oil pressures with a moving needle and numbers like the better consoles have (like the Cherokee "Country").

I added a full six quarts of 10W-30 Penzoil and have 82,000 miles on the engine. It has no oil leaks, so I am wondering why this oil gauge has lit up and has not turned off? Did this light just randomly pop on after I did this oil change and had the oil fill screw cap bust off? Any thoughts on figuring out what is wrong, if anything is wrong?

Thanks.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

replace the sender, you might have broken it when wrestling with your stuck filter.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:12 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

The last oil change I performed on my 97 Cherokee same thing happened to me. Mine had an oil pressure gauge and it registered 0 psi. I was worried but quickly realized I broke my oil pressure sending unit when I was removing my oil filter. Its a quick easy fix. I don't ever let anybody change my oil in any vehicle. For some reason every knuckle head that changes oil at a speedy lube thinks drain plugs and filters need to be torqued to 200lbs. Oil filters are best installed hand tight without tools. Good Luck!
Old 04-26-2011, 11:13 PM

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by unit31
The last oil change I performed on my 97 Cherokee same thing happened to me. Mine had an oil pressure gauge and it registered 0 psi. I was worried but quickly realized I broke my oil pressure sending unit when I was removing my oil filter. Its a quick easy fix. I don't ever let anybody change my oil in any vehicle. For some reason every knuckle head that changes oil at a speedy lube thinks drain plugs and filters need to be torqued to 200lbs. Oil filters are best installed hand tight without tools. Good Luck!
Mine has registered 0 since the day I got it in feb... I also think i have a valve cover leak...

recommendations?
Old 04-27-2011, 11:23 PM

Default Problem Fixed

Originally Posted by Bustedback
replace the sender, you might have broken it when wrestling with your stuck filter.
You were right on! I had somehow slightly cracked the oil pressure switch, as it is called in parts stores, so I needed a new one. I just used a channel lock pliers and unscrewed the pressure switch from the engine block after unhooking it and screwed a new one right back in. Problem solved! No more oil icon lighting up!

I also replaced my lower radiator hose, just to get rid of those ridiculous pinch clamps that are put on in the most inaccessable positions!

Runs like a charm now!
Old 04-28-2011, 10:06 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by robdiddy
Mine has registered 0 since the day I got it in feb... I also think i have a valve cover leak...

recommendations?
Number 1 if you have been driving since Feb you must have oil pressure or you would have much more problems, number 2 if your valve cover leaks then you surely have oil pressure. So the good news is it sounds like your engine isn't reporting it. I would start with the sending unit, its very affordable and an easy fix. Check the connector and wires coming off it. Hopefully that will fix her for you. Good lUck!