Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Oil pressure drop problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Liter
Default Oil pressure drop problem

I changed the oil a few weeks ago. Right after the change I noticed the check gauges light turned on and the oil pressure dropped to zero. This problem had not happened before this. The engine runs perfectly and does not sound like there is low oil pressure, and it only drops to zero at idle. Can someone explain?
Old 10-25-2014, 06:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Check the connector for the oil pressure sending unit, located directly above the oil filter.

You may have bumped it when you were changing the oil filter. Very common issue actually on the 4.0

Be sure the connector is firmly attached to the sending unit and that there is no damage to the sending unit itself or associated wiring.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:09 PM

Thanks, I thought the sender unit or connector could be at fault but wanted to know if there were any other possibilities.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L

Try removing the oil pressure sensor and cleaning out the inlet hole with a pipe cleaner. Worked for me with the same issue a while back.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Originally Posted by JeepCherokeeJoe
Thanks, I thought the sender unit or connector could be at fault but wanted to know if there were any other possibilities.
Well, a spun bearing or a bad/weak oil pump come to mind but that's a little extreme at this point.

Bad oil filter could cause it too. I hope you're not using a Fram.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:57 AM

Not a thread hijack, promise, but Firestorm you once similarly advised me re same problem. To develop your answer a tad, are there other symptoms that go with either of these conditions independent of tearing things apart to check? Thanks for any further input
Old 10-27-2014, 12:00 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Originally Posted by tracyk
Not a thread hijack, promise, but Firestorm you once similarly advised me re same problem. To develop your answer a tad, are there other symptoms that go with either of these conditions independent of tearing things apart to check? Thanks for any further input
True low oil pressure will result in a bunch of noise as parts aren't lubricated correctly.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:01 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by tjwalker
Check the connector for the oil pressure sending unit, located directly above the oil filter.

You may have bumped it when you were changing the oil filter. Very common issue actually on the 4.0

Be sure the connector is firmly attached to the sending unit and that there is no damage to the sending unit itself or associated wiring.
ive done this myself , kinda spooked me at first till i realized it was unplugged some
Old 10-27-2014, 12:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

I guess the easiest way to check for at least some oil flow is to start it, then shine a light down the oil filler hole in the valve cover and see if oil is moving around in there.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:48 PM

Location: north of the Rio Grande, south of the Red, east of the Pecos, west of the Sabine
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche

Nowhere do I see what year Cherokee you're referring to. If it's '90 or older, a Renix, then it's not a problem with the connector to the sending unit. I don't know about the '91 or newer, but the Renix gauge will read HIGHER with a bad connection. The more resistance at the connection, the higher the oil pressure reading. If you disconnect the wire completely from the sender, the gauge needle will peg all the way to the right, well above the 80 psi mark.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:17 PM

Sorry, it's an '01
Old 10-27-2014, 09:47 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Originally Posted by Bobolink
Nowhere do I see what year Cherokee you're referring to. If it's '90 or older, a Renix, then it's not a problem with the connector to the sending unit. I don't know about the '91 or newer, but the Renix gauge will read HIGHER with a bad connection. The more resistance at the connection, the higher the oil pressure reading. If you disconnect the wire completely from the sender, the gauge needle will peg all the way to the right, well above the 80 psi mark.
Damaged and contaminated connector can create either a low or high resistance fault. Not just one type.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:01 AM

Location: north of the Rio Grande, south of the Red, east of the Pecos, west of the Sabine
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche

Originally Posted by salad
Damaged and contaminated connector can create either a low or high resistance fault. Not just one type.
Makes no sense, salad. What's a low resistance fault? A no resistance "fault" on a connector is no fault at all. Point is, the gauge will read high due to a corroded terminal (resistance greater than zero) at the sender end, and I guarantee you, the needle wil peg to the right on a Renix oil pressure gauge at infinite resistance (disconnnect). A sender wire with damaged or missing insulation, if grounded, will result in a gauge reading zero, but a "low resistance fault" (any resistance above zero) at the connector won't do anything except make the pressure reading just a little higher than actual, and the higher the resistance in either the connector or the wire, the higher the pressure reading. I am battling that very problem on my Comanche right now. It appears that I need to repair some wire or connector, because my oil pressure gauge is reading 80 psi at 2000 RPM, and 40-50 at idle. Unplug the sender wire (gauge pegs to the right with key on), remove the sender, and connect a mechanical gauge to confirm, and the actual pressure is 45-50 at 2000 and 17-18 at idle. The oil pressure gauge is nothing more than an inverse reading voltmeter (0 volts to right, 12 volts nominal to the left), with power to one terminal, and grounded through the sending unit at the other terminal. It's the variable resistance in the sending unit that varies the reading on the gauge to indicate oil pressure.

Last edited by Bobolink; 10-28-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

As others mentioned. Check the connections to the sending unit. Also, since you said that the low pressure didn't start until you did the oil change. What brand of oil filter did you put on it? Yes a crappy brand of filter can give you low or no oil pressure. Especially on our 4.0's.
Keep us updated.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:34 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Originally Posted by Bobolink
Makes no sense, salad. What's a low resistance fault? A no resistance "fault" on a connector is no fault at all.
A short...

Quick Reply: Oil pressure drop problem