Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Oil pressure

My GF's been driving the XJ for the past month since I put a new motor in my Grand Prix GTX. I drive it on the weekends just running around town. I noticed this weekend that the oil pressure gauge gets up to 80 and over as the RPM's get up there. Before this she ran perfectly at 40 and increase a little bit with RPM's but no where near 80. Common problem? Bad oil pump? or something else.....I'm not the best at diagnosing and this is my first XJ with a 4.0 HO so I'd love to get some input from real jeep guys before I get an opinion from one of my techs at the shop.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Originally Posted by Buzzp
My GF's been driving the XJ for the past month since I put a new motor in my Grand Prix GTX. I drive it on the weekends just running around town. I noticed this weekend that the oil pressure gauge gets up to 80 and over as the RPM's get up there. Before this she ran perfectly at 40 and increase a little bit with RPM's but no where near 80. Common problem? Bad oil pump? or something else.....I'm not the best at diagnosing and this is my first XJ with a 4.0 HO so I'd love to get some input from real jeep guys before I get an opinion from one of my techs at the shop.
Yes it is a very common problem. Your oil pressure switch just above the oil filter is either going bad or it is plugged full of crud.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996

ahhh sounds about right. My buddy snapped his off on his '99 sport last time he changed his oil and now his needle is all over the place. I know mine is all covered in mud, the previous owner never cleaned off any mud. I'll just replace it and start there.