Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

oil pan question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default oil pan question

i have a 89 cherokee,it has a really bad oil leak and my boyfriend figured out what's wrong with it,he just never has worked on a jeep before,anyways we are wondering if you can drop the oil pan while the engine is still in? thanks!
Old 05-14-2009, 03:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 94 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

Do you have the 4.0L inline 6 engine?

The 4.0 are known for having oil leaks.

Is the leaky oil pan CONFIRMED?
Oil leaks on 4.0 are often misdiagnosed.
Many times what is thought to be an oil pan or rear main seal leak is often something alot easier to fix.

Valve cover gasket: Biggest culprit. Most of the time it leaks at the back where you cannot see. Runs down, around transmission bellhousing and usually right onto the hot exhaust (Excellent if you have tailgaters)
Replace with new gasket

Oil filter mount: Not necessarily the filter itself but the part that the filter screws onto. Between this mount and the engine is an o-ring that fails and the ensueing leak makes a mess of the underside of your XJ. (Built-in rust-preventer)
Unscrew mount (not easy but can be done) Install new o-rings 1 for mount and two on mounting screw.

Front main seal (Timing cover seal) Harmonic balancer seal. Removal of balancer is required, pop out old seal (discard of course) and install new seal.

IF the oil pan gasket is the true culprit here, the pan can be dropped with the engine still in the engine bay. BUT, the XJ will need to be hoisted (or carefully jacked way high) and the front axle will need to be allowed to dangle as low as possible.
Use of a ONE-PIECE gasket, I highly recommend this.

While you have the pan dropped, it is a good time to give the bottom-end of the motor a good visual examination.

Last edited by Howler_GT; 05-14-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:43 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

^^ that is a good break down and the valve cover can appear to be a oil pan leak if you don't look close enough. if you have the 4.0 it can be removed on the car but you will have to remove a few things to get it out
Old 05-14-2009, 03:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

If you are going through the trouble of dropping the pan for a leaking gasket, I would change the rear seal at the same time. Would suck to have to drop the pan again a month later for a leaking rear seal.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:50 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

^^ exactly
Old 05-14-2009, 03:55 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0HO

Originally Posted by BuckB91XJ
If you are going through the trouble of dropping the pan for a leaking gasket, I would change the rear seal at the same time. Would suck to have to drop the pan again a month later for a leaking rear seal.
x2 i changed the rear seal on my 92 a month ago. the only thing i had to remove was the starter. its tricky to get the pan out tho turned it all different ways befor i got it to slide out toward the front. also i would go ahead and buy two seals cause you will probaby ruin the first one trying to get it in. dish soap is your friend here.