Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Oil leak / Rear Main Seal

Old 10-09-2012, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Oil leak / Rear Main Seal

Hi everyone, I have searched on here for a while without finding and answer. I just got my jeep in july and it had an oil leak that got worse. I changed out the valve cover gasket first thing, then did my rear main seal (2 piece) and oil pan gasket (1 piece). It now leaks slightly worse than before. I followed several write ups on here. Called my mechanic and he said there is some kind of crank repair kit. If anyone has any experience in this, please let me in on it. I am not a master mechanic but I know a little bit. Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

You forgot the oil filter adapter
Old 10-09-2012, 11:47 AM
CF Veteran

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/oil...r-o-ring-9625/
Old 10-09-2012, 06:45 PM

Unfortunately, I changed that out already. Forgot to mention that. I have removed my pan and I amso going to reinstall all seals / gaskets. Does anyone know where all places I need to apply RTV?
Old 10-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Seasoned Member

There are a couple of youtube vids that identify those spots
Old 10-09-2012, 09:06 PM
CF Veteran

Just on the corners of the oil pan so that it doesnt shift from its place when bolting it back on.

Are you sure it's coming from the RMS? I'd make absolutely certain you know where it's coming from
Old 10-09-2012, 09:49 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4L, inline 6 cylinder

Can you see the leaking oil?
What us it,on? Transmission? Starter? Left ir right side of engine?

One thing I did was run ny hand along rear of engine just below valve cover to make sure it isn't leaking back there. I had to redo my new Valve cover gasket and add a little rtv even though my valve cover mating surface was flat but was leaking. This area not visible when visually looking for leaks.

Last edited by IRONMIKE; 10-09-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:18 PM

The fresh oil that has leaked out is on the back of the oil pan, bottom point if the transmission, and the entire underside and rear hatch. Its rediculous. Lol
Old 10-13-2012, 04:33 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Whenever you have the rear main cap off replacing that seal I was told by alldata to place RTV on the flat parts where bolts apply pressure to the cap. As I just replaced all my seals as well but also the rear cam shaft plug on the back of the engine could be leaking as while it is called a freeze plug there will not be any water between it and the end of the camshaft. This cavity will not have water circulating through it. It will be oil. If this has rusted out oil will pump out of the engine and fill your bell housing with it. As it drops from the bell housing the air as you drive it get it every where else.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:59 PM

Is this where my freeze plug should be? Or does this hole belong here?
Attached Thumbnails Oil leak / Rear Main Seal-forumrunner_20121013_175904.jpg   Oil leak / Rear Main Seal-forumrunner_20121013_175919.jpg  
Old 10-13-2012, 08:57 PM

I will have to look at my car tomorrow in the light but I don't recall there being an open hole like that. Any ways the one I am speaking of is behind the flywheel so you would have to remove motor to replace it
Old 10-14-2012, 01:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

OK. I breezed over. Didn't get every word. "freeze plugs", are somewhat large, always exposed, to allow frozen water/coolant in the cooing system to expand (when freezing), /expanding(with rock breaking force)'

Yea, Rtv at the corners of any splices. Black can set fast, blue gives more time..seems to me.

Venting is always an issue. If the bolw-by past the pistons can't freely vent from the front tube, crankcase pressure will make it **** oil anywhere, RM being front and center. CHECK THAT! "Its rediculous. Lol"

Always anytime with a leak...since it goes all over. At a store where you can get to a car wash in 1/2 an hr, buy a can of Gunk foaming engine degreaser. Spray the warm engine, then go to the car wash. Eye protection and old cloths are an idea. I've actually left mine running, avoiding the manifolds and distributor. (and don't "bean" anything like connectors).

The general idea is, if you get it clean, and catch it before the oil get's far, you can isolate where it came from.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:25 AM

Yes most freeze plugs are exposed and easily available but like I said this really isn't a freeze plug. When you buy a freeze plug kit it comes in it but it there is no water jacket behind this plug. As on the other side is the transmission side of the camshaft. As when you remove it you can see the end of the camshaft. No water will be in between it and the plug. I will take a picture of my old motor on the engine stand today. And RTV does go every where when replacing the oil pan gasket. But as I was saying I was also told to place it in between the rear main cap and the block. When you take the rear main cap off to replace the seal, the square sections where the bolt goes through the cap to the block should also have had RTV placed on them. But that will not be the cause of that much oil leak.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Dang. A pop up add just wiped out my text.

Anyway>>> here http://www.myjeepxj.com/cherokee-rep...filter-adapter
Old 10-15-2012, 09:31 PM

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
Dang. A pop up add just wiped out my text.

Anyway>>> here http://www.myjeepxj.com/cherokee-rep...filter-adapter
hahaha
You really need to isolate the oil leak. Along with cleaning the engine really well, they make an oil dye you put in the engine that will glow when you shine a special light on it. Find the source. Also, the fel pro pan gasket I did had directions on where to put the rtv. Def. very important to get that in the right spot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil leak / Rear Main Seal