Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Oil filter adapter stripped in block!!!please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Oil filter adapter stripped in block!!!please help

What should i do? Its an 1989 jeep Cherokee 4,0. I was using a torque wrench to tighten it to 75 pounds and it went from hard to tighten no click to the wrench and bolt spinning freely. I took it out to look at the bolt and it was fine. So how do i fix this problem? Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

maybe a helicoil? and the bolt is only supposed to be torqued to 50ft-lbs
Old 03-08-2010, 05:51 PM

Default On second thought

I think the welded back spacer broke and that the threads are still good. the spacer is broken and spins freely, but before i took it out it was welded to the bolt. i think when the bolt broke it made it feel stripped. cause i went back out there and torqued it down and it held tight but when i turned the key and started the car oil shot out of the broken bolt head. any opinions?
Old 03-08-2010, 08:21 PM

Default Ordered a new one

I got the newer style adapter hopefully all goes
well.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: I-6 4.0L

Just a suggestion for the next time. I managed a lube shop for 2 years, we NEVER tightened down filters down to the housing with a set of any type of filter plier. Just clean the filter mount area, make certain you aren't throwing a double gasket up there, start the new filter with a very light bead of new oil on the new gasket, and tighten only hand tight. Then pressure check after slapping your 6 qts in the ol' crankcase (for the 4.0, 4.5 qts for the 2.5). Any pressure running through the filter should seat everything up right past snug to tight. This way it won't happen again.

75 lbs seems extremely excessive, and i never had a customer complaint from any type of Jeep we serviced, and we were an 80 vehicle a day shop. Got stories on coolant flushes, think Jeeps are bad, try VW's......... OMG~!

Make sure you are greasing those silly zerks every oil change as well. Don't want a tie rod or lower ball joint going ungreased.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

Originally Posted by wfd336
Just a suggestion for the next time. I managed a lube shop for 2 years, we NEVER tightened down filters down to the housing with a set of any type of filter plier. Just clean the filter mount area, make certain you aren't throwing a double gasket up there, start the new filter with a very light bead of new oil on the new gasket, and tighten only hand tight. Then pressure check after slapping your 6 qts in the ol' crankcase (for the 4.0, 4.5 qts for the 2.5). Any pressure running through the filter should seat everything up right past snug to tight. This way it won't happen again.

75 lbs seems extremely excessive, and i never had a customer complaint from any type of Jeep we serviced, and we were an 80 vehicle a day shop. Got stories on coolant flushes, think Jeeps are bad, try VW's......... OMG~!

Make sure you are greasing those silly zerks every oil change as well. Don't want a tie rod or lower ball joint going ungreased.

that is the oil filter itself, he is talking about the oil filter adapter mounted directly to the block, the O-rings in the adapter are a common leak in cherokees.

x2 on the newer style adapter
Old 03-10-2010, 03:45 PM

Default ITS all good

I got the newer style oil filter adapter with the meaty bolt and everythings back to normal...yes!