Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Oil change question

Hey,

I've never changed the oil in my cherokee, mainly because there have been other things that have needed to be done and that it hasn't been driven. However, I don't know what type of oil the last owner used for the cherokee.

I've been thinking of putting in some 100% synthetic oil and was wondering if that might be a problem if it has been running mineral oil before?
Old 10-08-2013, 04:51 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

Shouldn't be a problem, unless the engine is full of sludge. Since synthetic generally cleans well, it may remove some sludge that was "covering up" a leak. So, contrary to legend, synthetic oil does not cause leaks, but may uncover a leak that had been "hidden" by deposits.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by belvedere
Shouldn't be a problem, unless the engine is full of sludge. Since synthetic generally cleans well, it may remove some sludge that was "covering up" a leak. So, contrary to legend, synthetic oil does not cause leaks, but may uncover a leak that had been "hidden" by deposits.
Ah, sounds great! And I guess that it's also a myth about how old engines run better on plain mineral oil rather than synthetics? Or are some addetives actually helpfull?
Old 10-08-2013, 04:57 PM
CF Veteran

I think with these engines (4.0), they will run well on any quality oil.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997, 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by andrem
Ah, sounds great! And I guess that it's also a myth about how old engines run better on plain mineral oil rather than synthetics? Or are some addetives actually helpfull?

Get an oil with zinc in it or find an additive with zinc. It's good for the lifters in the 4.0
Old 10-08-2013, 07:06 PM
jpz
Seasoned Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by xjsnake
Get an oil with zinc in it or find an additive with zinc. It's good for the lifters in the 4.0
Hmmm...I take Zinc when I'm sick. Good to know the Jeep and I can be healthy together with this "additive"
Old 10-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Running oil is recommended lol. These engines haven't really changed since they were brought to market in 1964. One of the best oils for the 4.0L is actually a synthetic diesel oil (Shell Rotella T6); they will do very well on any diesel oil. The heavier viscosity is ideal for these old engines and diesel spec has a high zinc content. Most diesel oils are actually certified for use in gasoline engines too. Of course treat it right and run of the mill 10W30 will get you to 500,000 miles. Not sure what your options are in Sweden but looking into a synthetic diesel with low startup viscosity (5W40 is good) is a good bet for longevity.

Actually more important than the oil is a quality filter. If it's priced very low you can bet the quality is also rock-bottom. Here in North America FRAM, STP, and the types installed by quick lube shops are very bad. WIX, Purolator, or any of the performance filters (if you care to spend the money) are preferred.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by salad
Running oil is recommended lol. These engines haven't really changed since they were brought to market in 1964. One of the best oils for the 4.0L is actually a synthetic diesel oil (Shell Rotella T6); they will do very well on any diesel oil. The heavier viscosity is ideal for these old engines and diesel spec has a high zinc content. Most diesel oils are actually certified for use in gasoline engines too. Of course treat it right and run of the mill 10W30 will get you to 500,000 miles. Not sure what your options are in Sweden but looking into a synthetic diesel with low startup viscosity (5W40 is good) is a good bet for longevity.

Actually more important than the oil is a quality filter. If it's priced very low you can bet the quality is also rock-bottom. Here in North America FRAM, STP, and the types installed by quick lube shops are very bad. WIX, Purolator, or any of the performance filters (if you care to spend the money) are preferred.
Wow great tips! I didn't know that about diesel oil, even though diesel is quite popular here (and in europe). Most people run a 5w40 or 0w40 because of the cold weather we get around winter times so i'll probably run 5w40 since that is the most common type of oil.

The filter though i knew about, i'm heading to the states in the beginning of november for 3 weeks so will be picking up quite a bit of things for the XJ there, a purolator gold filter will definately be added to my list probably 2 or 3 !
Old 10-08-2013, 11:06 PM

Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L i6 PowerTech

Changes my oil today on my 2002 GC. Used 5w30 I love in Connecticut and it's beginning to get colder, so I went from 10 to 5w. I used a Wix filter and 6 quarts of Royal Purple full synthetic! Never get a fram filter. Ever. Stay with Wix, Napa gold/platinum, or even Purolator
Old 10-08-2013, 11:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987

In my opinion, there is no reason to start running an expensive synthetic oil on a 25 year old engine. More than likely it had dinosaur oil it's whole life and if it's lasted this long, why spend three times as much running synthetic oil? I run 10w30 in my '87 and use the block heater in winter.

Now, if you have done an engine overhaul and are more or less starting with a fresh engine, then it might make sense to use sythetic

I have a '67 GMC pickup as well. It still runs on dinosaur oil and that's all it ever had. Original engine. I just make sure the oil filter is changed regularly and use a good quality Wix filter with it.

On a modern engine, especially a 4 cylinder, high revving engine, I would be tempted to run synthetic. My Toyota is 0W20 synthetic from the factory so I will continue to run that.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by salad

So would using the Rotella T5 I think it is in a 10w30 be good? I'm in Indiana and probably doing a rear main and oil pan gasket this weekend with oil change. I think the T5 is a synthetic blend.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:10 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

T5 can be synthetic blend, depends on which T5 you get. I believe Shell's ratings are to do with wear performance and the additive package. 0W30 and 0W40 are both full synthetics sold under the T5 label.

Myself and a bunch of other people here run T6 5W40.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:27 PM

Year: 2001

Dealing with my failed 2001 XJ 4.0 Pre-Cat issue and reading about additives and high Zinc content contributing to catalytic converter death, should I be worried about running a diesel oil like Rotella or Delo because of the Zinc and my finicky, poorly designed factory dual pre-cat system???
Old 12-04-2013, 02:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1997

I run the t6 rotella oil with the bigger wix filter (15151 or something). I don't go offroad so the longer filter only brings positive attributes. if your jeep doesn't leak oil, synthetic is a good choice because of the extended change intervals, simply bc of that the cost is offset. not to mention t6 isn't *that much more expensive than a quality nonsynth.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1990

T6 can be found at local wholesale stores (ie Walmart and the like) for a few dollars less then a parts store, except when parts stores have it on special. The filter, as long as its atleast the purolator classic, is more or less needed. Fram and other crap brands will kill the motor faster thsn you can blink. So basically, yes you will spend about 40$ on an oil change, but if your like me and your toy is also the dd, that 40 bucks saves you in the longevity of the motor.

Also, royal purple is a no no. Recent tests show its pretty much crap as far as quality goes

Quick Reply: Oil change question