Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Oil all over...

Old 02-28-2012, 07:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6 cyl
Default Oil all over...

Hey guys. So I'm pretty new to cars/Jeeps, so don't tell me I'm an idiot right now haha. I know how to change oil but I was in a slight predicament the past few days. I changed the oil but forgot to take the rubber O-tube off with the old filter, so when the new filter was on, there were now 2 O-tubes that caused a slow leak. I had to change it afterschool and didn't have a bucket - only had an oilpan and funnel. The oilpan filled up almost all the way, and since it was only 2 day oil, I reused it after fixing the filter. Now let's just say I spilled a solid amount of oil all over the engine. Anything I should do or just let it sit and work itself away? Thanks.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Just take the filter off, no need to drain the crank case. Remove the extra gasket and re-install the filter. +/-1/2 qt. should get back between the min/max marks on the dipstick. Also, I'd get a roll of paper towels and get busy cleaning.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

Spray bottle with dish soap and water, then hose it down.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6

I wouldn't hose down my engine compartment without putting plastic bags over a few things...

Engine degreaser and a scrub brush should work. Get off as much as you can.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder

I don't have a fuse box covering my relays and everything in the engine compartment the previous owner must of removed it so I have a good bit over open areas for water to get in
Old 02-28-2012, 07:53 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Ahh... the old double gasket... I lost 60 worth of RP in my mustang to that... it sucks, but a good lesson...

to clean it, I just spray it down with lightning degreaser, let it soak in, start it, then hose it down while running... don't super-pressure it is old and fragile.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 4.0L HO

Be real careful with a hose and water.......kinda hard to screw something up with a roll of paper towels.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:43 PM

alright thanks guys! i'm either going to use degreaser and hose (will make sure to plastic bag the essentials) or soap/degreaser and paper towels.

Last edited by luckyAD80; 02-28-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:27 PM

Used the degreaser and hose method and everything starts and runs still. Thanks!
Old 02-29-2012, 05:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

You'll be just fine spraying the side of your motor down. Do not worry.

What you DO have to watch out for is spraying electrical connections. Yes, they are mostly weather-tight connections, but spraying water directly onto them still isn't a good idea.

You don't want to get water in your intake. You want to avoid soaking your electrical boxes. You probably don't want to fill up your alternator.

I find it funny that we have so many examples of people driving their XJ's into deep water, yet so many are still afraid of spraying a little water from a garden hose onto the side of their engine.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:31 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder

Originally Posted by 77olds
You'll be just fine spraying the side of your motor down. Do not worry.

What you DO have to watch out for is spraying electrical connections. Yes, they are mostly weather-tight connections, but spraying water directly onto them still isn't a good idea.

You don't want to get water in your intake. You want to avoid soaking your electrical boxes. You probably don't want to fill up your alternator.

I find it funny that we have so many examples of people driving their XJ's into deep water, yet so many are still afraid of spraying a little water from a garden hose onto the side of their engine.
True
Old 02-29-2012, 06:53 PM
Seasoned Member

What is your engine compartment like? Open fuse boxes? Leaking valve cover? Do you have caps on everything? I would definitely look around at EVERYTHING before blasting it with a pressure washer or strong stream of water. For example, you don't want to force water under your valve cover in the place it is leaking.

The best thing you can do is a Google search for detailers in your area that steam clean engines. This is the best and least invasive option for degreasing engines. It should cost between $50-$75. If you are lucky they may do the undercarriage as well.

If you have to wash it, go to walmart and get a gallon of Greased Lightning, if they have a citrus based cleaner get it instead. Get a spray bottle and use a ratio of 1:1 and soak all of the areas. Cover your alternator, intake, fuse panel with aluminum foil, it molds and fits well around the different contours. Then with a long handled/long/soft bristled brush, gently start agitating the areas. Then rinse with a shower head sprayer.

AFTER it has dried, it will be important to dress and recondition all of your hoses and rubber. The degreaser is not good for them and can induce premature deterioration. DO NOT USE WD-40. If you are interested I will give you a few options.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy Amos
What is your engine compartment like? Open fuse boxes? Leaking valve cover? Do you have caps on everything? I would definitely look around at EVERYTHING before blasting it with a pressure washer or strong stream of water. For example, you don't want to force water under your valve cover in the place it is leaking.

The best thing you can do is a Google search for detailers in your area that steam clean engines. This is the best and least invasive option for degreasing engines. It should cost between $50-$75. If you are lucky they may do the undercarriage as well.

If you have to wash it, go to walmart and get a gallon of Greased Lightning, if they have a citrus based cleaner get it instead. Get a spray bottle and use a ratio of 1:1 and soak all of the areas. Cover your alternator, intake, fuse panel with aluminum foil, it molds and fits well around the different contours. Then with a long handled/long/soft bristled brush, gently start agitating the areas. Then rinse with a shower head sprayer.

AFTER it has dried, it will be important to dress and recondition all of your hoses and rubber. The degreaser is not good for them and can induce premature deterioration. DO NOT USE WD-40. If you are interested I will give you a few options.
I used simple green. I also only covered the alternator and battery. It was more of a strong mist than a stream.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Simple Green works well too. I would dress it noe though, are your hoses and rubber and plastic a hazy white now?
Old 02-29-2012, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy Amos
Simple Green works well too. I would dress it noe though, are your hoses and rubber and plastic a hazy white now?
It's pouring outside so imma have to wait until tomorrow. What do you mean by 'dress'?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil all over...