Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

OEM XJ Rear Tire Carrier

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 01:11 PM
jpk

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default OEM XJ Rear Tire Carrier

I have an OEM XJ tire carrier. I've had it for several years and am just now thinking of installing it on my XJ. The carrier is the latter one that mounts to the rear bumper, not the body. I have all the parts, even the original license plate light and bumpers, but since it has been so long since I removed it from a junk yard carcass I've forgotten the details on how to reinstall it. If anyone here has one on their XJ and knows the details about the install I would appreciate some information help. Thanks.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by jpk
I have an OEM XJ tire carrier. I've had it for several years and am just now thinking of installing it on my XJ. The carrier is the latter one that mounts to the rear bumper, not the body. I have all the parts, even the original license plate light and bumpers, but since it has been so long since I removed it from a junk yard carcass I've forgotten the details on how to reinstall it. If anyone here has one on their XJ and knows the details about the install I would appreciate some information help. Thanks.
I know the carrier is a '96 and down. You putting back on a '96 or down?
Thinking the picture out of the parts catalog would help. Thinking if the one you are putting it on did not have one you will be drilling some holes though.
Attached Thumbnails OEM XJ Rear Tire Carrier-00000ds1.jpg  
Old 07-05-2017, 06:51 PM
jpk

Ralph, yes I have a 96 XJ Country.

That drawing helps but I do have some questions. Part #4, where does it go? Bolt #7 and the hole that the diagram shows it goes into. The hole is larger than the head of the bolt. It would fall through. #3 looks like a slide/clip nut. How is that possible because that part of the whole bracket should fit tight up against where the license plate light is and the bolt should pass through the fiberglass lift gate to a nut on the inside. It is confusing.

I should add that none of the parts have been altered however I have bought new metric bolts to replace the originals due to rust.
I have no questions for the rest of the mount
Old 07-05-2017, 09:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Here is an old post from 2012 with pics of one installed. Looks like the same one.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/sto...bumper-155082/
Old 07-05-2017, 09:35 PM
jpk

I've got it now. I understand how the plate that mounts to the liftgate is attached. I didn't need any help with the bumper mount, just the liftgate plate. Thanks for those photos fb97xj1.