Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

OEM Fog Light Wiring Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6 cy
Default OEM Fog Light Wiring Kit

I found an OEM fog light wiring kit for $99. It is only the wiring. No lights or switch. The kit will wire it from bumper to switch. I was wondering if anybody has installed this kit, how hard/easy was it, recommend/not recommend, etc.

http://www.jeepsareus.com/p/CHEROKEE/fgpig1.html
Old 01-16-2012, 05:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 290 Likes on 239 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O

$00.02

givin the fact that you can wire up your own lights with your choice of gauged wire and wire connectors from any parts store for maybe $15.... i'd say you'd be kinda retarded to blow $100 on a wiring kit like that.... If what your worried about is the finished look then some heat shrink and wire loom can easily make a simple $7 wiring job look factory.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 98
Engine: 4.0

^ x2
Old 01-16-2012, 07:10 PM

You both are right, it would b stupid to spend that much when I could do it myself. Any ideas on lights that would fit in the bumper cut outs?
Old 01-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Seasoned Member

I did the aftermarket wire kit n did it my self, about 90u bucks in wires relays and supplies, just saying
Old 01-16-2012, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by hawaiian808
I did the aftermarket wire kit n did it my self, about 90u bucks in wires relays and supplies, just saying
What kind of lights did you use?
Old 01-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

I just ordered an oem switch and im going to wire it up to Hella 550's
Old 01-16-2012, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Crispy
I just ordered an oem switch and im going to wire it up to Hella 550's
Will they fit in the bumper cut outs? How are you going to wire the OEM switch?
Old 01-16-2012, 08:11 PM

Year: 98 2 Door SE
Engine: 4.0 High Output

I bought a KC round set up complete off ebay for 95. shipped. Mounted the lights to top of bumper ran all the wires & mounted their switch where oem switch would be. Came complete with wiring options. Installed my front hooks & new brackets same time so I removed bumper which made mounting lights a breeze.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:20 PM
Seasoned Member

I havent taken exact measurments yets but they are damn close, worst case scenario i'll trim a little extra.

Im trying to find a thread with the info but am coming up short. In any case, most jeeps come with the fog light wiring harness in place inside the cab. So my idea is to cut the pig tail and and run my own wires using the oem switch. Ill see what i can find on the forums, otherwise ill post up after i check the mitchell diagrams
Old 01-16-2012, 08:22 PM

I havent taken exact measurments yets but they are damn close, worst case scenario i'll trim a little extra.

Im trying to find a thread with the info but am coming up short. In any case, most jeeps come with the fog light wiring harness in place inside the cab. So my idea is to cut the pig tail and and run my own wires using the oem switch. Ill see what i can find on the forums, otherwise ill post up after i check the mitchell diagrams
Sounds good!
Old 01-16-2012, 08:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Originally Posted by hawaiian808
Are you saying it cost you 90 dollars to make the wiring kit yourself? If so how the hell did you manage that?
Old 01-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Seasoned Member

If your rig (97+) has the factory fog light pigtail behind the switch blank you can get an OEM switch, and wire it up like this:

Orange - This is the illumination wire, you can tap into another orange wire in the switch panel

Light Blue - This is the switch output, send this wire to the input wire of the foglight relay.

Violet - Connect to a fused 12v, or ignition source. If you'd like similar stock operation, you can connect this to the parking light output so that if you leave the switch on it will only get power when lights are on.

Black - Connect to a ground

Make sure you run a relay to your fog lights if you go this route, the oem switch CANNOT handle the current that aftermarket lights pull. I'd also run some 12g or at least 14g wire.
The following users liked this post:
gosser66 (06-27-2020)
Old 01-17-2012, 06:19 PM

If your rig (97+) has the factory fog light pigtail behind the switch blank you can get an OEM switch, and wire it up like this:

Orange - This is the illumination wire, you can tap into another orange wire in the switch panel

Light Blue - This is the switch output, send this wire to the input wire of the foglight relay.

Violet - Connect to a fused 12v, or ignition source. If you'd like similar stock operation, you can connect this to the parking light output so that if you leave the switch on it will only get power when lights are on.

Make sure you run a relay to your fog lights if you go this route, the oem switch CANNOT handle the current that aftermarket lights pull. I'd also run some 12g or at least 14g wire.
Thanks for the info, again!
Old 01-17-2012, 07:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

x2, switch cant handle that.

Quick Reply: OEM Fog Light Wiring Kit