Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

OEM or aftermarket trac bar mount

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question OEM or aftermarket trac bar mount

I replaced my trac bar about in my 97 XJ a little over a year ago, and it looks like it is already failing - plus there is movement at the body side mount. The axle side is moving about 1/10 inch. I haven't been able to measure the body side, but it looks like similar movement. The real bummer is, I can tell the bolt through the body mount is moving, and the torque on the crown nut is in spec. I take this to mean the trac bar mount at the body is probably oval'd.

I'm at stock height in the front. I've looked at a few aftermarket mounts, but they usually spec 3" of lift or more. Has anyone got experience with aftermarket trac bar / mount combos for stock height? Is there a known fix for the original mount?

Another question. When I have someone rock the steering wheel with the tires on grippy asphalt, the body seems to move relative to the axle quite a bit more than the sum of the axle-to-tracbar slop and the tracbar-to-body slop. I could be wrong, but it looks like it is moving a half inch or more. Could the body be moving up and down just a bit, allowing the trac bar to pivot? If it is I can't quite see it. Any idea how much motion is normal here?

Thanks