Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Odometer adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Odometer adjustment

Just swapped out my dash with idiot lights for a dash with gauges. I would like to be able to set the odometer to match the one that I removed. Does anyone know if this is possible and/or how to do it?
Old 01-28-2011, 08:58 AM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.o

im sure it could be done but the legality of it is a question. i was told by a dmv inspector in ct that its illegal to change an odometer so i would have to assume adjusting it is just as much of a no no.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:13 PM

Well I'm not trying to lie about the mileage I do, however, want the correct mileage on my replacement speedometer. That is the reason for my inquiry.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

I'm pretty sure you can't roll it backwards without turning it completely over forward.

You may be screwed unless your rig has more miles than the new dash.

If the new dash has less miles, why do you care?

You can always spin it forward with a drill or something I guess. But that only adds more miles.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88

Moved to OEM TECH.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The early clusters, pre '91 (iirc), can be taken apart and the odom rolled either way. Sometime after that they plastic welded the barrel in place so you can not take it apart to change the mileage reading.

The legal issue is.... it's illegal. Federal law states any tampering with the odom is a Felony offense.

Now thats out of the way, the legal way to perform a cluster swap is to have a certified shop set he mileage for you or you can obtain a door jamb sticker on which you would write the old and the new mileage at the time of the swap. You would then have to let your local DMV know and they will have you file a form that goes with your registration.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:29 PM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

Your year cluster can only be adjusted forward.

You have two options as I see them:

1. States will either have an "odometer discrepancy" checkbox on the title to check. Even better is a sticker that some states have that you can get that states the mileage conversion information to switch between the displayed and actual mileage.

2. Get a different cluster that has lower miles and have the dealership adjust it forward for you.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:40 AM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.o

i didnt mean to come off as sounding like your were trying to pull a fast one on somebody. i was just letting you know that what you wanted to do isnt exactly kosher.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by trs80
The early clusters, pre '91 (iirc), can be taken apart and the odom rolled either way. Sometime after that they plastic welded the barrel in place so you can not take it apart to change the mileage reading.

The legal issue is.... it's illegal. Federal law states any tampering with the odom is a Felony offense.

Now thats out of the way, the legal way to perform a cluster swap is to have a certified shop set he mileage for you or you can obtain a door jamb sticker on which you would write the old and the new mileage at the time of the swap. You would then have to let your local DMV know and they will have you file a form that goes with your registration.
That is incorrect. I was able to disassemble it and match my original odometer. It was quite simple I must say. Only took about an hour start to finish. As far as the legality, there was no intention to decieve so no crime was commited.

Originally Posted by dukie564
Your year cluster can only be adjusted forward.

You have two options as I see them:

1. States will either have an "odometer discrepancy" checkbox on the title to check. Even better is a sticker that some states have that you can get that states the mileage conversion information to switch between the displayed and actual mileage.

2. Get a different cluster that has lower miles and have the dealership adjust it forward for you.
That is also incorrect. Like I stated above; it can be taken apart and it can be "rolled" either direction.

Originally Posted by KevinJKing
i didnt mean to come off as sounding like your were trying to pull a fast one on somebody. i was just letting you know that what you wanted to do isnt exactly kosher.
Very understandable. Personally, the way I see it, there was no crime commited since there was no intention to decieve.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What was incorrect? The fact you were able to disassemble the cluster and adjust the mileage? You never said what year XJ the cluster came from.

If you think its legal more power to you. Here is the law for the record.

Motor Vehicle Cost Information Act, 49 U.S.C. Section 32704
  1. (It shall be unlawful for a person) "with intent to defraud, operate a motor vehicle on a street, road, or highway if the person knows that the odometer of the vehicle is disconnected or not operating; or
  2. The owner of the vehicle or agent of the owner shall attach a written notice to the left doorframe of the vehicle specifying the mileage before the service, repair, or replacement and the date of the service, repair, or replacement.
  3. A person transferring ownership of a motor vehicle shall give the transferee the following written disclosure
    1. Disclosure of the cumulative mileage registered on the odometer,
    2. Disclosure that the actual mileage is unknown if the transferor knows that the odometer reading is different from different from the number of miles the vehicle has actually traveled.
      1. Mileage Statement Requirement for Licensing. - (1) A motor vehicle the ownership of which is transferred may not be licensed for use in a State unless the transferee, in submitting an application to a State for the title on which the license will be issued, includes with the application the transferor's title and, if that title contains the space referred to in paragraph (3)(A)(iii) of this subsection, a statement, signed and dated by the transferor, of the mileage disclosure required under subsection (a) of this section
Federal Odometer Laws and Regulations
49 U.S.C. §§ 32701-32711 (Formerly 15 U.S.C. §§ 1981-1991),
49 C.F.R., Sections 580.1-580.6 - Odometer Requirements
Violations -
  • Resetting or altering odometer with intent to change mileage.
  • Making false odometer disclosure statement.
  • Failure to provide buyer complete odometer disclosure statement.
  • In acquiring vehicle for resale, failure to obtain complete odometer disclosure statement from seller.
  • Conspiring to violate any of the Federal odometer statutes.
Civil Recovery -
  • $1,500 or,
  • treble damages, whichever is greater, plus reasonable attorney's fees.
Assessment of Actual Damages - Combination of:
  • Value of vehicle with fraudulent mileage minus value of vehicle with actual mileage.
  • Lessened resale value of vehicle with altered odometer.
  • Increased finance charges on fraudulently inflated value.
  • Increased insurance costs of fraudulently inflated value.
  • Increased taxes on fraudulently inflated value.
  • Cost of unanticipated repairs and maintenance.
  • Times spent resolving problems created by fraud.
State Odometer Laws
  • Laws vary widely from state to state; however, odometer fraud is covered in most states.
  • State laws may provide access to dealer bonds or other coverage.
  • Some state laws provide for recovery of damages under state law in addition to damages recovered under Federal law.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:07 PM

TRS80, If you look at my info, you will see that it is a 96. I'll take my chances. It is MY Jeep that I paid for and I don't plan on getting rid of it so I'm not the least bit concerned. Might want to read the "law" again, in the first line its states "(It shall be unlawful for a person) "with intent to defraud". There was no intent to defraud. That being said, its done, it works, it matches. Problem solved.

Last edited by 96XJGUY; 02-02-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:21 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 96XJGUY
TRS80, If you look at my info, you will see that it is a 96. I'll take my chances. It is MY Jeep that I paid for and I don't plan on getting rid of it so I'm not the least bit concerned. Might want to read the "law" again, in the first line its states "(It shall be unlawful for a person) "with intent to defraud". There was no intent to defraud. That being said, its done, it works, it matches. Problem solved.

XJguy

+1 for letting us know it can be done, the other dude was trying to make drama, must be one of those Forum Lawyers

Thanks again
Old 02-02-2011, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by 96XJGUY
One does not preclude the other, so yes, you broke the law. The fact that there is no intent to defraud would likely translate to a slap on the wrist if anyone made an issue of it, but you definitely broke the law by tampering with the odometer.

And none of this matters until you sell the vehicle. Even then, it doesn't really matter, but facts are facts.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Can I ask how you made it work I just got one out of a 91 and mine is a 93 with the idiot lights and it doesn't work any suggestions
Old 02-02-2011, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by john78
Can I ask how you made it work I just got one out of a 91 and mine is a 93 with the idiot lights and it doesn't work any suggestions
PM me.

Quick Reply: Odometer adjustment