Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Odd Window/Door Lock Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Odd Window/Door Lock Issue

Hello,

Yes...another window/door lock thread. I figured this one might be a little odd, but here it goes:

Bought the car (1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport) with the passenger window not working. Didnt work from the passenger side OR the driver side. All other windows worked from driver side panel. So took these steps:

1) Replaced window regulator with a new unit. Window would go up but not down.
2) Replaced the switches on passenger side and still the same problem. Window would go up but not down.
3) Put in driver side switch panel switches from a 2 door jeep into passenger side. Kep the window lock switch on the side but not plugged into the harness. Window would go up and down using those switches from the passenger side, but not the driver side. Door lock worked only from passenger side switch. I sort of jerry rigged it, but somehow worked.
4) Recently the passenger side switches no longer worked. Neither the window switch not the door lock switch worked from passenger side.
5) Replaced passenger side switches with proper (used but supposedly working condition) switches. Still same issue: door locks dont work & window doesnt work from passenger or driver panel side.

Now I'm stumped. I have a feeling there is some wiring issue coming from the driver side. Any thoughts????
Old 08-17-2015, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

So I ended up doing some more research and work on this issue.

Here is what I did that seemed to correct the problem:

1) Found a broken fuse in the #9 slot (Radio/Clock & Memory, ...). Once I put a new fuse in there the door locks started working from both the driver and passenger side. WEIRD!
2) While trying to install new driver door speaker was messing with the driver window and door lock switch panel, cleaned off some of the connectors and voila, passenger window now rolls up and down from both the passenger side and driver side.

Awesome!

Now my question is, what trips the #9 fuse and what does that have to do with the door locks?