Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

odd heat problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 12:27 AM
e30
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default odd heat problem

so let me start off by saying it had perfect heat before all of this happened, so i changed my water pump because it was leaking....all went fine, still had heat ect, so i noticed the thermostat housing had a leak while doing this, i drive it for a few days with no probs...still had heat, so i buy a new one change it and i now have no heat what do ever, i have tried bleeding the system several times and nothing still, also have gone on a 3 hour trip and nothing, temp only gets up to 200 deg....before it got to 210 a tiny bit after...i changed the thermostat and that didnt seem to work either...im so lost here...really need help on this its getting cold hahah
Old 11-12-2009, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0l I6

okay first off your temp should be from 180 to 195, so your temp should not be getting up to 210
Old 11-12-2009, 07:27 AM
e30
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the input... Any idea why I don't have heat?
Old 11-12-2009, 07:58 AM

what year cherokee?

you said you changed the thermostat housing because of a leak....and no heat, then you changed the thermostat itself.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN "now have no heat what do ever"???
IS THE BLOWER MOTOR BLOWING, JUST GETTING COLD AIR?
IS THE BLOWER NOT BLOWING AT ALL NOW?

did you put the thermostat in the right way? normally the spring end is facing the engine with the pointed end pointing away.

you did say you bled the system...sometimes air in the lines will cause a block, keeping it from fully circulating. when the engine is warm, are all the hoses hot? do they feel like they're full of coolant? since the problem didn't begin until you removed the thermostat housing, I'd guess that's where the problem is. could just be an air bubble...sometimes slightly pulling a hose off the nipple while the engine is running, allowing a little fluid to escape will help get things circulating again...

also check your vacuum lines to your heater control box. if the vacuum line broke/got disconnected, your heater box wont open, which won't allow the air from the blower motor to reach the heater core.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:04 AM
e30
Seasoned Member

The blower is blowing...but it's cold air..I checked the T stat and it's in right...heater core lines are cold, I pulled the core line to bleed it and barely anything comes out, the vacume flaps for the vents seem to be workin fine
Old 11-12-2009, 09:07 AM
e30
Seasoned Member

Also heat was fine until I changed the T stat housing
Old 11-12-2009, 09:30 AM

what type of system do you have, how is it set up
Old 11-12-2009, 09:51 AM
e30
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by XJ_SPORT
what type of system do you have, how is it set up
I'm not sure... I have a 97 sport 4.0 I guess it's a closed set up no bleeder
Old 11-12-2009, 10:17 AM

ok so im thinking you may have put the wrong gasket, or installed it wrong, in for the T stat and it closed off the coolant passage that goes to your heater core, not too sure thats just what im guessing
Old 11-12-2009, 02:07 PM
e30
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by XJ_SPORT
ok so im thinking you may have put the wrong gasket, or installed it wrong, in for the T stat and it closed off the coolant passage that goes to your heater core, not too sure thats just what im guessing

just pulled the housing again....gasket is on correct
Old 11-12-2009, 02:52 PM

Possible air in the heater core? Could try flushing/priming it. Disconnect heater hose and force water into it using a hose. Could disconnect both and make sure coolant is flowing through.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by cltdba
Possible air in the heater core? Could try flushing/priming it. Disconnect heater hose and force water into it using a hose. Could disconnect both and make sure coolant is flowing through.

Don't do that,water from your hose contains minerals and chlorine, making it safe to drink. There is a chance that said products will build up and cause oxidation in your block.

I all ways use distilled water when cutting my coolant.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:18 PM

When your water is mixed with the coolant it's not going to build up deposits. Even the dealers use regular old tap water.

Not to mention, you do flush your system at least once a year right...?
Old 11-12-2009, 03:38 PM

on my system there is a vac line that opens up a valve and allows coolant to flow through when the heater is on, and it closes when i turn it off, its located on the passenger side close to where the heater core lines go in to the cab(i have a renix system so his might be in a different spot), that could be where the problem is on E30's jeep the valve could be bad or he could not be getting any vacuum to it, dont know for sure cause i dont know how his system is set up, a picture(s) of the engine would help.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by cltdba
When your water is mixed with the coolant it's not going to build up deposits. Even the dealers use regular old tap water.

Not to mention, you do flush your system at least once a year right...?

Here on Long Island there seems to be salt and sand in everything. Our water comes from natural aquifers. Thats why I use distilled water.

And as far as flushing once a year, thats a little much. I maintain my Jeep to a "T", yet I have never flushed my cooling system, I have replaced my radiator, hoses, water pump and T-stat, all at different times all ways being able to reuse my coolant, and topping off with fresh fluid and distilled h2o.

I have never heard of flushing with a hose to be a prudent idea, and will all ways advise against.

Quick Reply: odd heat problem