Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

odd electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 05:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6
Default odd electrical issues

I can usually figure things out myself or by reading but this has me stumped. Voltage spikes only sometimes, especially when turning right, letting of the gas at 55mph or more, and accelerating from stops, especially up hill. Also the radio sometimes works sometimes doesn't, and different buttons can turn it on or off or don't work ect. Also I can use my power locks when the vehicle is on but not when it's off. Also now all my gauges are off. All started occurring around the same time. Coincidence or are they connected? And any ideas?
Old 06-02-2015, 08:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by K2dark_xj
I can usually figure things out myself or by reading but this has me stumped. Voltage spikes only sometimes, especially when turning right, letting of the gas at 55mph or more, and accelerating from stops, especially up hill. Also the radio sometimes works sometimes doesn't, and different buttons can turn it on or off or don't work ect. Also I can use my power locks when the vehicle is on but not when it's off. Also now all my gauges are off. All started occurring around the same time. Coincidence or are they connected? And any ideas?
I would start by checking all the grounds, refresh them and don't skip the easy stuff like making sure your battery terminals are clean and tight.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:31 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Cheddarnut
I would start by checking all the grounds, refresh them and don't skip the easy stuff like making sure your battery terminals are clean and tight.
I have done that and actually have brand new terminals on my battery. I'm not too good with electrical so I was wondering if the guage cluster and radio get their power from the same source. I'll have to check fuses too because maybe the spiking voltage caused fuse to pop
Old 06-03-2015, 07:39 PM
CF Veteran

Update:in case any1 stumbles on this thread with similar issues, the problem is fixed, 2 blown fuses, one is for gauges and locks and the other is for the radio and dash lights plus probably other things like dome lights. Both are 15a and both were under the hood. But I'd like to find out what is causing my voltage spikes which is the source of the blown fuses I think

Last edited by K2dark_xj; 06-03-2015 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Y