Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

occasional no start problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 02:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default occasional no start problem

Over the past two months i have been fighting with my '89 jeep not starting on occasion. When it starts it runs great and doesnt miss a beat, usually if it starts right away it will always restart that day, then in the morning or next day it wont fire up. Heres the list of the things ive done or looked at... New CPS, New TPS, new fuel pump, new fuel pressure regulator, new spark plugs, it is getting power from the coil when the ignition is on, it smells like its flooding out, and the injectors are not leaking. you can hear the fuel pump prime the motor when you first turn the key and it runs while you are trying to start it. The other night when i was driving it home from work the fuel pump was groaning REALLY loud, but it was still running just fine...

the only things i can think of right now are maybe a bad fuel filter? or an electrical connection somewhere that is making contact sometimes but not always. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Old 09-16-2010, 03:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I would check out the neutral safety switch. I believe that guys with automatics have these go bad fairly regularly, and they get the trucks running by jiggling the shifter around the neutral position. Can't say for certain as I drive a 5 speed, but it might be worth looking in to. Also, if your fuel pump is groaning, it might be getting worn out from the key turning on/off during all the times it won't start.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:24 PM

I have wiggled the shifter and ran it through the gears, in all my experiance with autos they wont even crank if the switch goes bad or the car isnt in park or neutral. but i am used to driving stick too. out of the 4 i have owned this is the first auto, my dads and both my brothers have the 5spds as well... ive started a trend in my family with jeeps haha
Old 09-16-2010, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998

Hmm if it is turning over them it isn't going to be the NSS, you might be looking at a PCM or a new coil, if it is getting power but you can smell fuel it is a good indelication that you arent getting spark. You should pull a spark pull or two, if they look wet them it isn't firing so I would put money on a coil. And worst case it could be the dustributer. Hope this info helps.
-Tex
Old 09-16-2010, 04:57 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys, i just got done replacing the fuel filter... starts and runs like a dream, I would of never guessed it to be this with the symptoms it showed, everything i have ever been told or experianced with a fuel filter is a proggresive thing not an intermetent come and go type of thing. im still baffled on why it would run so good WHEN i would be able to start it. When the old one was pulled i could hardly blow air through it.

All said and done i think because of the lack of free flow through the filter i have worn the pump down and it will need replaced because of how loud it is now. Luckily i just replaced it a month ago and its still under warranty haha not to mention i know what to expect now