Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

OBDI Code problems... What first?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 05:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default OBDI Code problems... What first?

My 91 xj is reading a total of 7 (3 valid?) codes. I want to know if someone could help me figure out what to replace first or where to start looking... Please help, my mileage has halved since this started.
To start out with, the check engine light is on full time, its running rich and has noticeably less power. The codes are displayed exactly as follows:
12 - Battery or computer recently disconnected-N/A
35 - Cooling fan relay circuit open or shorted
OR
35 - Idle switch motor fault - check connections
33 - Air conditioning clutch relay circuit open or shorted (NO A/C)
13 - MAP sensor or vacuum line may not be working
52 - Oxygen sensor stuck at rich position
55 - End of codes-N/A

I appreciate it a ton, thank you!
-Brian
Old 11-27-2009, 08:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Try this...
Originally Posted by luvmyxj
My 91 xj is reading a total of 7 (3 valid?) codes. I want to know if someone could help me figure out what to replace first or where to start looking... Please help, my mileage has halved since this started.
To start out with, the check engine light is on full time, its running rich and has noticeably less power. The codes are displayed exactly as follows:
35 - Cooling fan relay circuit open or shorted Swap the relay witha known good relay.
OR
35 - Idle switch motor fault - check connections Clean with electrical contact cleaner and add a little dielectric grease
33 - Air conditioning clutch relay circuit open or shorted (NO A/C) Swap in a known good relay
13 - MAP sensor or vacuum line may not be working Clean the throttlebody thoroughly with some Carb and Choke cleaner, and pay particular attention to the passages for the MAP Sensor line and Idle air.
52 - Oxygen sensor stuck at rich position Complete the prior items before messing with this.
55 - End of codes-N/A

-Brian
Old 11-27-2009, 08:25 AM

Year: 92/96

You could have water in your fuse block maybe? or a moist ecu or wet relay block? just a long shot.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

Dielectric grease is a nonconductive grease. Because it is nonconductive it does not enhance the flow of electrical current. Electrical conductors should not be coated with dielectric grease prior to being mated. However, dielectric grease is often applied to electrical connectors, particularly ones which contain rubber gaskets, as a way to provide a nonconductive lubricant and sealer for the rubber portions of the connector.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I've used dielectric grease for decades and will continue to do so. It seals out dirt/dust, moisture thus preventing corrosion.

Electric contacts in connectors and switches are an interference fit and therefore the grease does not negatively affect the flow of current.

From Permatex:
Permatex Dielectric Tune-Up Grease is a silicone dielectric compound used to insulate, lubricate and protect electrical fittings. It protects against salt, dirt, moisture intrusion and stray current in electrical connections.
Dielectric grease extends bulb and housing life of navigation lights, masthead electrical connections, trailer lighting and harness or any electric connections exposed to moisture and the elements. Prevents voltage leakage around any electrical connector thereby insuring a strong spark in high energy engine ignition systems.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

Old 11-27-2009, 10:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 485 Likes on 416 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Originally Posted by luvmyxj
35 - Cooling fan relay circuit open or shorted
OR
35 - Idle switch motor fault - check connections
33 - Air conditioning clutch relay circuit open or shorted (NO A/C)
52 - Oxygen sensor stuck at rich position
55 - End of codes-N/A

-Brian
With that many codes all at once, first thing you have to ask is did they appear all at once? You didn't submerge it did you? If you didn't and they all came on at once then the computer is probably shot. If that CEL has been on a long time and you just ignored it then follow Frank's advise.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:40 AM

Year: 1991

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check it out tomorrow.
No, I didn't submerge it but it leaks in places and has lots of moisture and condensation inside at times. I don't know how long each code has been being output or in which order they appeared either.