Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

NP242 T Case or not

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default NP242 T Case or not

I have a 2000/1 XJ 4lte auto that I have had for about eight years I have always driven it in full time four wheel drive as it has the NP242 T Case with 2wd 4wd 4wdfull time.

I have at times found that the left hand front wheel tending to bind on full lock but not all of the time so I tended to drive it in 2wd with no problems I now find that when I put it in to 4wd it is much worse and even when I put it back in to 2wd it takes a while to settle down again.

My garage tells me that the axles and drive shafts are ok so it would point to the T-case being the problem there is one other thing they say that the LSD in the rear axles is playing up do you think that this could be part of the problem or is it all down to the T-case.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Well if you can feel the binding in the front but not the rear then I'd rule out the LSD in the rear.

A TCase isn't too expensive and doesn't take all of that long to swap out.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by HudsonN
Well if you can feel the binding in the front but not the rear then I'd rule out the LSD in the rear.

A TCase isn't too expensive and doesn't take all of that long to swap out.
I think that you are right about that I think that maybe the LSD is locking up a bit so we are going to change to oil and put some of that slip stuff in but as for the T-case I found a second hand one so just need to get it put in.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:21 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,245 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

All 4 tires the same size and pressure?

T-case full of fluid?

Shifting like this?

Here's how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I've been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner's manual. The suggestions in ITALICS are mine.

"To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed". I let off the gas, throw the lever, and then tap the gas and let off.

4L position: " To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L".

To shift out of 4L, shift the transmission into neutral with the vehicle stopped, shift the transfer case lever to 2H, then to D if you have an automatic, or into first gear with a manual, and continue on.

Revised 01-31-2014
Old 02-22-2014, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
All 4 tires the same size and pressure?

T-case full of fluid?

Shifting like this?

Here's how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I've been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner's manual. The suggestions in ITALICS are mine.

"To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed". I let off the gas, throw the lever, and then tap the gas and let off.

4L position: " To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L".

To shift out of 4L, shift the transmission into neutral with the vehicle stopped, shift the transfer case lever to 2H, then to D if you have an automatic, or into first gear with a manual, and continue on.

Revised 01-31-2014
Thanks the first thing that we did was to drain the T-case and fill with the proper oil I thought that it had helped for the first 50 yards but then it started to grind and pull on the front left hand side ( not that it affects it but it is right hand drive living in the uk ) so I pushed the leaver and put it in 2wd but you still have to put it into reverse and then in forward to get it to free up.

As for how I change from 2 to 4 and low I do as you say with the exception of putting it in and out of low and I always stop and put it in and out of neutral.

Last edited by patxj; 02-22-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:24 AM

For the life of me, I can't imagine a transfer case causing the Jeep to pull to one side..........
Old 02-22-2014, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
For the life of me, I can't imagine a transfer case causing the Jeep to pull to one side..........
The way that I see it and I am now nothing really its got a standard diff in the front axle so any problem with the T-case going forward will only affect one wheel as the other one will run free am I correct or not.

As it goes ok in 2wd and the guy in the garage says the the drive joints are or seem to be ok could it be the front diff I am just grasping at straws.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by patxj
The way that I see it and I am now nothing really its got a standard diff in the front axle so any problem with the T-case going forward will only affect one wheel as the other one will run free am I correct or not.

As it goes ok in 2wd and the guy in the garage says the the drive joints are or seem to be ok could it be the front diff I am just grasping at straws.
Grasping at straws. Need to be looking in the front axle area.