Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Not starting has gas air and compression

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Not starting has gas air and compression

I have a 1992 jeep Cherokee Laredo with 230k miles and it will not start. It has gas air and compression the spark plugs were replaced last week and still nothing also new coil cap rotor and wires new fuel filters, relays, starter, battery, safety neutral switches. Does anyone have any idea on how I might go about fixing this problem?
Old 08-14-2017, 12:04 AM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

You should have fuel pressure at the rail, which can be checked by attacking a gauge to the schrader valve on the rail. If you have attempted to start it a bunch of times you can also cause your engine to flood, in which case you will want to let it sit for a while before attempting to start again.

Next make sure you have spark, even if the plugs are new. Remove a plug and attach it to the wire. With a helper to turn it over, touch the threads to a good ground and see if you have spark. If you do, DOUBLE and TRIPLE check that your firing order is correct with the way you installed the cap and plugs. If the wires are out of order can cause a no start issue.

When you say it has good compression...how do you know? Did you do a compression test on each cylinder? What pressure readings did you get? Also did you by any chance replace or remove the distributor while doing all this work?
Old 08-14-2017, 03:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Check codes.....
Old 08-14-2017, 09:42 AM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Just as a side note when I completed my engine rebuild, I had installed my distributor 180 deg out of timing, which obviously the engine would not start. I checked the codes then before I found the issue with the distributor and no codes popped up. Just my stupid mistake.

When replacing all the plugs, wires, cap, or distributor this is a very common mistake to reinstall out of timing which wont allow the spark to fire at the correct moment for combustion, hense the no start condition.