Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Noob:Transmission help

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 04:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Noob:Transmission help

just recently became interested in cherokees, and am in the process of looking for one to buy. had a few transmission questions to ask all you gurus! i wouls like to build an all-around, reliable fun jeep that could do snow, sand, mud or desert. thinking rubicon long arm on 33's. A little rock climbing here and there but def not the main purpose.

which transmission is the optimal one to run? 5sp or A/T? which is stronger and responds to motor upgrades better? i am pretty sure but does the 5sp get better MPG?

thanks in advance,
David
Old 03-21-2009, 04:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

The AT will respond better in my opinion to the motor upgrades. The 5spd should earn you better MPG's as long as you stay out of it! I honastly think it depends on the age of the vehicle and the maintainance thus far. If you have an XJ that has been abused severly but looks good on the exterior, when you go to lift it your gonna find the abuse has taken a toll and you will be in for a very expensive upsetting trip replacing driveline parts. Before purchasing your rig, DO YOUR HOMEWORK on your rig. Do not just take the sellers word. Get dirty and climb under it. Look at everything. Test drive it with the seller. If your gut says something isnt right, then you probably shouldnt buy it. Good Luck!!