Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Noob with lots to do

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Noob with lots to do

I'll introduce myself first. Jeff, from Glen Ellyn IL. I've had my '98 since '03 when it had 65k on it, now its got 102k. Except for an 02 sensor in '04, a muffler clamp, rotors and turned drums 2 years ago, all i've really done is gas, oil and go. Its my daily driver and it good for haulin dirt for the wife's garden.

It's getting rough around the edges but still goes like snot and looks good. Since I can't afford, nor justify the expense of, a new car I'm looking to invest a little in it. Here are my issues,

1)Rotating noise up front, been there a couple of years. Everything still works (except A/C, more later) and local wrench could not pinpoint where its coming from.

Any usual problems with engine accesories?

2)A/C shot. I overfilled it and blew all the coolant out of the back. Re-filled it but it was cold only for a couple of days.

Compressors can be had but I thought I throw this out anyway. It might make sense to change compressor, dryer etc and replace whatever is making noise upfront in #1 while I have the insides apart.

3)Brakes are due

4)Suspension feels like its pretty worn. If any of you live in a city and take a cab now and then you know what a cab feels like when its supension is about to go. I wouldn't mind a little more agressive look so what height do you recommend? I'm thinking all new bushings, shocks, springs. I'm an old fart in the suburbs so I'm not looking to have this crawl anywhere, just navigate the 'burbs well and look cool.

5) I'd probably throw some new rubber and bigger wheels on it.

I know this sounds like alot but it's cheaper than a new car and cosmetically she's still nice. A mechanical makeover is probably just right. I've got a midrise lift so I'm thinking I can get alot of the underneath stuff done in one shot.

I'm a noob on the board and i realize this was alot for one post. I don't expect alot of detail replies but if you have some favorite threads that address any of this please let me know. I just started searching the board and will continue.

Jeff
--------------

Last edited by TheClaw; 06-11-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L

First, welcome to CF from pa.
Secondly, i am newer here myself, and have yet to drive my cherokee(other than on the way home, but i have done some work on it, will be driving it as a DD after this weekend)

but this thread has pictures of alot of different lift sizes, tire sizes and rim sizes, 4 pages(if you have 40 replies a page) of pics that may help you decide how big and what kind of life you want
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/xj-lift-tire-setup-thread-260/
Old 06-11-2009, 12:47 PM
jag

Year: 96
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6cyl

Whats the deal with you ac

Does the compressor come on?

As for lifts I'm sure some one could set you up
I left mine stock height with a performance set up
Old 06-11-2009, 12:56 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L Air Intake and TB Spacer

For the lift kits with a nicer ride look at the Rubicon Express 3.5 super ride lift or the 2" old man emu kit. Both very nice but expensive the 3.5 lift will be tall enough for 32's or 33's while the 2" lift you can get some 30's or 31's (I imagine that you probably don't want to trim the fenders).
For tires and rims I like the 15" cragar soft 8's and get some long lasting BFG all terrains. Slightly agressive look, but they will last much longer then mud tires
Old 06-12-2009, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by jag
Whats the deal with you ac

Does the compressor come on?

As for lifts I'm sure some one could set you up
I left mine stock height with a performance set up
The compressor comes on. I'm thinkging before I rip it out I get a cheap test kit from AutoZone. I have a vacuum pump and gauges so I could test it one more time. What I'm not sure of is once I blow the overflow valve out the back, is the compressor for all practical purposes done?

Jeff
Old 06-12-2009, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by hedbutter
First, welcome to CF from pa.
Secondly, i am newer here myself, and have yet to drive my cherokee(other than on the way home, but i have done some work on it, will be driving it as a DD after this weekend)

but this thread has pictures of alot of different lift sizes, tire sizes and rim sizes, 4 pages(if you have 40 replies a page) of pics that may help you decide how big and what kind of life you want
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/showthread.php?t=260

Awesome thread.

Stupid question, when you guys refer to lift ie: 3inch, is that above stock? What would stock lift add up to?

Jeff
Old 06-12-2009, 11:55 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L Air Intake and TB Spacer

If I remember correctly its 17" in the front and 17.5" in the rear from the center of the hub to the bottom of the flare.

Last edited by 94xjstud; 06-12-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:59 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I-6

There are some 4x4 snobs that say you have to measure lift a certain way but yeah, generally a 3" lift means the unibody is lifted 3" higher from the axles.

Also if you do end up having to get a new compressor, save the old one and do on-board air.

As far as usual problems with engine accessories . . . alternators go bad when you get mud in them. Thats really the most common problem in my experience.