Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No Start..Worth Reading..One for the Books

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Smile No Start..SOLVED..Worth Reading..

I recently was having a problem with my '92 jeep Cherokee 4.0. I was having intermittent cranking problems. When it did crank it did not want to run. CPS! Well that is what I thought also. So once I replaced that and problem was still there I went through the web searches the manuals and did test after test. Narrowed it down to the cam pick up sensor in the distributor. Called my local O-Reilly's and picked up a remanufactured one because that is all they had at the time. Put that on there and the problem seemed to get better and then it just returned back to it's old ways. So I went back on the web and looked at hundreds of instance with people having the same problem. I started checking my wiring again, my grounds again and basically everything I could think of. I have been doing this for the last three weeks. I finally determined it was the remanufactured dist. again. I ordered a new one and installed it last night. Fired right up and ran.
I do want to let you know how I came about it. When I was doing some testing on my power feed voltage to the CPS and Cam Sensor. I noticed after one of the test that for some reason my voltage had dropped from 8.5 to 3.4. Keep in mind that I had done test on this circuit many times and this had never showed up before. I thought this is a good time to find a short. So jiggled and wiggled the harnesses the connectors and any thing I could find. After that I started back tracing the wiring from the ECU to the different components. The last thing was the distributor housing. When I unplugged the wiring connector my voltage immediately went back to normal.
So there you have it another story on the infamous no start condition.
Again I have seen it stated so many times on here and everywhere else that is sometimes pays to just wait and get OEM or at least new parts.
I had been working on rebuilding this engine for over a year due to some mods and upgrades so my patience was past gone.
I may take the time to post what happened while doing the initial break-in. But that's another story and my fingers are worn out........

Last edited by golfmiser; 06-25-2014 at 09:25 AM.