Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No start: Software issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 04:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default No start: Software issue?

No one can figure out what is wrong with my 99 Cherokee. Took it to two places (independent and Dealer) and couldn't figure it out. When I do a short start (happens about once a month?) it will die and will have long crank times afterwords and not start. No codes/check engine light. It will start when I give it gas but will die as soon as I let off. I do this a few times it its starts working again.
so weird.. Thanks!

Also a mechanic mentioned that it could be a software issue with the computer. there is an update that is supposed to correct the stalling issue but it is $50 with no guarantee it will work
Old 09-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: Inline 6 4.0 liter

Crankshaft Position sensor would be the only thing I could think of for no start
Old 09-01-2011, 05:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0

If there is no code to be read things can get frustrating. My 99 wouldn't throw a code for the longest time.. Ended up doing everything to tune it up, even blew out the gas lines and seafoamed the TB and all that jazz. But nothing helped. Finally threw a code saying bank 2. But after replacing both, TWICE, the issue persists. All computers and sensors seem to be functioning, so I'm gonna have my guys go over the wiring itself to see if it's in there...
Old 09-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by VTJeep
If there is no code to be read things can get frustrating. My 99 wouldn't throw a code for the longest time.. Ended up doing everything to tune it up, even blew out the gas lines and seafoamed the TB and all that jazz. But nothing helped. Finally threw a code saying bank 2. But after replacing both, TWICE, the issue persists. All computers and sensors seem to be functioning, so I'm gonna have my guys go over the wiring itself to see if it's in there...

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I bet its some rouge wire somewhere that's next to impossible to locate
Old 09-01-2011, 08:40 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

Starting while giving gas is a good clue. Search IAC , pull it, clean it and throttle body, and re install, it may idle wierd for a few days afterwards, but the idle air control motor is what controls the idle till the motor warms up. A little piece of carbon in there can cause this situation.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by tiwvr1
Starting while giving gas is a good clue. Search IAC , pull it, clean it and throttle body, and re install, it may idle wierd for a few days afterwards, but the idle air control motor is what controls the idle till the motor warms up. A little piece of carbon in there can cause this situation.
Also thought of this, but it should give a code? Maybe it was small enough where I just blew it out on my own.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:21 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 L

So I am gonna throw a curveball here..........

True story...........
One fine sunday I am coming back from a grocery/beer run before a football game...i make a turn, kinda like an s turn not a real like stop and turn left kinda turn........

Jeep dies.... no code no nuthin.

I am fortunate enough to be on the side of the road where traffic can go by an safety etc not a problem (thank god!).......

I pop the hood,, check for any wires might have come off battery etc, check fuel pressure (used a lil stick to press in the nozzle on the fuel rail), pressure good. all plug wires intact, checked relays (have a small meter in my glove at all times).. all good.....checked hoses, belt, anything that might stick out as a usual suspect.....all good.......

found the problem......the fuse box.

the wire (power from the fuse box) had corroded and was making intermittent contact with the rest of the distribution wiring within the fuse box.

I managed to wriggle it enough to get the jeep to start and get back to house where I took the whole thing apart, cleaned all contacts etc etc, re-wrapped any exposed wires, cleaned all the fuses etc etc.

never had that problem again.

I know it sounds weird, but I had gone through everything i thought could be wrong, and it was just a simple corrosion problem.

hope it helps...

cpnwrench

Old 09-02-2011, 10:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Have you checked fuel pressure when this happens?
Old 09-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
Have you checked fuel pressure when this happens?
Nope, it always happens when I'm not near any equipment to check. By the time I get it to run and check it, fuel pressure is totally normal.

Happened again today, I wish it would just give me a code to narrow down what this is. It could be the computer and the idle setting?