Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No start , shuts off questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default No start , shuts off questions.

Ok guys, dealing with a 2000 XJ 4.0L automatic.

I think the issues is the crank sensor on the transmission but the jeep is not throwing any codes.

Yesterday we towed it over to my house. Charged the battery and it started right up. So I took it for a test drive and got about .5 of a mile away when I turned and it all shut off. Would not start back at all, just kept on turning over and over. Pulled it back the driveway and still nothing. Removed battery post for a little and reconnected and it started right up. Plans are tomorrow to test the crank sensor but wanted to ask as there might be something else.

Any thoughts? Everything i read on CPS says it will throw a code or say no buss on dash.

Thanks for any ideas.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

A bad cps rarely will throw a code. I have seen only a very few that did put out a code when the cps was going out. When it shuts off does it die with any warning? or does it just shut off like you turned the key off? It does sound like a cps problem. But you should make sure before you replace it. Next time it doesn't want to start check to see if you are getting a strong blue spark. also make sure that you have the correct fuel pressure. Your year should have 49psi +or- 5psi at the fuel rail. You can also test the cps. But it isn't always 1005 correct. If you do end up replacing the cps. Do yourself a big favor and buy an oem one from the dealer. Aftermarket ones are hit and miss and are known to be bad right out of the box.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

robert,

it just shuts off. he said once it shuts off sometimes it would start back but sometimes it wont. Its over here at my house now and I think I have a spare factory CPS to use if needed or can remove the one on my XJ.
his has 180K miles, 2wd, and all factory. Runs great and has good power when it is running but then just shuts off. cycle key and it either hits or just turns over. Did notice that when starting one time if I gave it gas it would start so will look idle air controller and throttle position sensor.