Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No start... odd colored fuel 0.o

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start... odd colored fuel 0.o

So my XJ has been in my garage with starting issues for about a month, if I spray carb cleaner into the injection it fires up like a fighter jet and then peters off almost instantly.

I noticed the fuel injection rail didn't have a lot of fuel at the test port. I could hear the fuel pump whirring up so at least that showed it runs.

Following the advice of a supervisor I replaced my fuel filter, although the filter was only 6 months old.

When I put the new filter in noticed the residual gas that came rushing out the lines was brown, and last time I saw gas it wasn't this color, but I could be wrong.

Anyways, so I put the new filter in and turned it on cycled the pump a few times and tried starting. No go, still did not start, but it turns over. I checked the test port on the injector rail and tons of fuel came out, so there is no more fuel clog. I recently put a new distributor cap, spindle and new spark plug wires, so they should be fine, but of course I don't have a spark tester or a buddy to look for the spark while I start the engine.

Also spark doesn't make sense when carb cleaner causes it to fire right up.

I also tried starting it in Neutral, no go.

Also I threw my ODBII meter on it and I only have a very small emissions leak that I've had since the beginning.

I'm just stare at it scratching my head.

Last edited by RedFang; 07-14-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L upgraded charging system & blue top, flowmaster 44, hi flow cat and two core rad.

How did that fuel smell, it may have went bad on you, if so siphon it out and put some fresh in and give it a try.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Illuminator
How did that fuel smell, it may have went bad on you, if so siphon it out and put some fresh in and give it a try.
I'm not exactly sure how it's suppose to smell, but it smells similar to the gas I have in the container for my lawn power. I remember seeing a science show a while back where they made a clean plastic jug into a single gallon tank perched over the engine and it just gravity fed into the engine. I don't want to put anymore fuel into the tank because I'm pretty sure its either rust or as you said bad fuel, and I know I can't siphon it all out without dropping the tank...
Old 07-14-2011, 04:25 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L upgraded charging system & blue top, flowmaster 44, hi flow cat and two core rad.

Bad gas smells strong and like varnish. Mine went bad a while back and took my fuel pump out, I replaced it and cleaned the tank incorrectly and in a few months pump failed again. So I dropped the tank to find out I cause it to rust BAD. Sp I replaced the tank and pump and works fine now . The tank is like a hundred bucks at auto parts so not really worth fixing original. I'd drop siphon fuel and see how it looks if it looks bad I'd drop tank and empty it and see if it looks rusty in there. Then you'll know, if there is a problem and you keep cranking it it could cause pump to fail.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:37 PM

Bad gas smells strong and like varnish. Mine went bad a while back and took my fuel pump out, I replaced it and cleaned the tank incorrectly and in a few months pump failed again. So I dropped the tank to find out I cause it to rust BAD. Sp I replaced the tank and pump and works fine now . The tank is like a hundred bucks at auto parts so not really worth fixing original. I'd drop siphon fuel and see how it looks if it looks bad I'd drop tank and empty it and see if it looks rusty in there. Then you'll know, if there is a problem and you keep cranking it it could cause pump to fail.
Replacing the fuel tank is something I planned to do, however I can't use the existing sending unit because it is also rusted, I cleaned it up last time when I swapped out my pump 6 months ago, but they don't make a replacement sending unit for the 96

This all means I need to get a different sending unit, and so far I haven't found any that will fit the tank and keep the proper style fittings. Since the 96 has only one port, and all the other have two ports.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:50 PM
CF Veteran

Remind me what the sending unit is ?
Old 07-14-2011, 05:20 PM

Sending unit is the metal piece adapter the fuel pump hooks into and also the floater is attached to it. Then you put the entire thing into the tank and lock it in.

They call it a fuel module for the 97 Jeep Cherokees and newer, and those are mostly plastic. :| I just looked and I can find replacement fuel tanks for 96 and older but not 97 and newer... that's odd.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: ERH 4.0L 16 Power Tech

The sending unit is what tells the fuel gauge how full the tank is. My guess is contaminated fuel, possibly a tank that needs to be relined. POR sells a tank liner product that will cover the inside of the fuel tank and prevent rust from re-forming. You don't need the entire kit. Just etch the inside of the tank with muratic acid after mechanical cleaning in the form of a chain, sandpaper, steel wool, wire brush or anything else you can get in there to clean the tank dawn to bare metal is advisable. Let the tank get bone dry. Then slosh the sealer around following the instructions. Let it dry and you have a tank that is restored to better than new condition. If the pump had that much sleaze run through it I would replace it and the sending unit.

http://www.por15.com/

Last edited by waltermitty; 07-14-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:37 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Take a sample of your fuel, and put it in a glass jar or just a clear glass. Let it sit overnight and see if it has separated. Ethanol based fuel breaks down very quickly, and it's hydroscopic (draws water). Have had to drain multiple tanks for people recently.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by MiracleRepair
Take a sample of your fuel, and put it in a glass jar or just a clear glass. Let it sit overnight and see if it has separated. Ethanol based fuel breaks down very quickly, and it's hydroscopic (draws water). Have had to drain multiple tanks for people recently.
I tried to syphon out some fuel and what came out looked like cray watery mud so yeah my tank is screwed WOOT FUEL CELL TIME!

Last edited by RedFang; 07-14-2011 at 06:22 PM.