Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

no start HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default no start HELP!

I have an 88 Cherokee 4.0l 4x4 that won't turn over. I have had the starter checked. the battery is new and the battery cables have new ends on them. I have tried replacing the starter relay. I have power on the stud of the relay and on the large wire going to the starter. the dk green wire from the ign switch has power when I turn the key to start position. but the dk green wire coming out does not come on. the orange wire shows as a ground. the black wire shows nothing at any time. should this be a ground, or a hot and when should it be in that state?
ps the nss is bypassed

Last edited by kc8tfl; 10-30-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:55 AM

?????
Old 10-30-2013, 06:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Here's this>

If you hold the key over, and jiggle the shifter in park or neutral and it starts, it's your NSS. http://bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-neut...ty-switch-nss/
Old 10-30-2013, 08:01 AM

Can you clarify: "the dk green wire from the ign switch has power when I turn the key to start position. but the dk green wire coming out does not come on."?

Found a schematic, URL below. Black should be ground, seems like orange is a relay ground.

http://autowiringmanual.com/wp-conte...ng-Diagram.pdf

Have you tried jumping the solenoid contacts with a screwdriver? Also, have you tried moving shift lever and starting in neutral wiht the NSS plugged in? I only ask because I had a bear of a time trying to find the correct pin numbers to cross in the NSS plug.

Finally, what voltage to you have 1) in battery, and 2) going into the power distribution module? PDC input should be nearly what battery voltage is, wiht the jeep not running. If not, you have a bad connection, broken wire or a short somewhere. I went through this with my ZJ last night, had 2 volts PDC input from a faulty connector in the harness between the battery and PDC.

Let us know what you find. Good luck.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:26 AM

is not the nss, nss is bypassed, although I guess it wouldn't hurt to check the bypass to see if it has lost connection. the green wire coming out of the relay to the solenoid does not activate. where does the black wire get it's ground? right now it is neither hot nor ground. the battery is brand new as the old one was shot. can jump the solenoid from below and the starter cranks. starter and solenoid also tested good at part store. i'm going to get set of jumpers and try grounding the black wire's terminal and see if it starts, but would like to know where the black wire runs to so I can test for continuity in that wire

Last edited by kc8tfl; 10-30-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:41 PM
CF Veteran

It may well end up grounding at the dipstick mount stud, allong with the ECU,TCU, the injectors ect. I'd take a look at Cruisers ground stuff found in my signature.

Just to check the green wire, you can jump it right at the relay. (I actually keep a little piece of wire there in case if emergency)

It does sort of look like the relay is suspect, they do go bad. Maybe later I'll look at the ground on my relay, (check it), see what I see. There is a diagram of it in my sig. Btw...
Old 10-30-2013, 08:08 PM
CF Veteran

OK I went and looked. Yea, the lower, rearward black/white stripe should be grounded indeed. That's the same color code as the sensor grounds.

Get this. you can pull that, and ground that relay right to ground with another wire. DON'T directly ground the black/white stripe. The other stuff grounding on that circuit is grounded through the ECU to protect them. That starter relay though, is more "robust". Just giving it a ground is very unlikely to hurt it.

You will find in Cruisers ground refreshing, those black/wt stripe have crimped connections that can mess up.

If you have no ground there I'd check the other stuff on that, maybe starting with checking and cleaning at the dipstick tube mount stud.

Last edited by DFlintstone; 10-30-2013 at 08:10 PM.