Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No spark, need help and ideas

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation No spark, need help and ideas

I have a 99 jeep cherokee sport with a no spark problem but will attempt to turn over. The jeep 2 weeks ago wouldn crank but would turn over but in a few it cranked. It did this once more last week then this week it wouldn start up at all and showed no signs of problems while it was running till i shut it off. There is no power going to the coil, the pick up underneath the distributer or the brain. Even 9 of my fuses in the fuse box inside are not getting power and they are not blown. But i checked all the other fuses and they were good, all the bus fuses were good also. I changed the coil with a brand new one, i changed the ecu with another one garrenteed, even changed the crank positon sensor still nothing. All lights work wipers and gauges and so forth. Can u help me?
Old 12-17-2010, 12:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

You should check your ASD Relay or possibly try starting it from neutral to see if you have a bad Neutral Safety Switch.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i tried that too first thing. had that problem before with a cavalier. But with the asd i tried switching exact relays and checked to see if the other was burnt but it was good too, i switched it with the fuel pump relay an the fuel pump still worked lol just my luck
Old 12-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1998

Could you post the 9 fuses that are getting no power?
Old 12-17-2010, 05:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by josh9119
I have a 99 jeep cherokee sport with a no spark problem but will attempt to turn over. The jeep 2 weeks ago wouldn crank but would turn over but in a few it cranked. It did this once more last week then this week it wouldn start up at all and showed no signs of problems while it was running till i shut it off. There is no power going to the coil, the pick up underneath the distributer or the brain. Even 9 of my fuses in the fuse box inside are not getting power and they are not blown. But i checked all the other fuses and they were good, all the bus fuses were good also. I changed the coil with a brand new one, i changed the ecu with another one garrenteed, even changed the crank positon sensor still nothing. All lights work wipers and gauges and so forth. Can u help me?
did you have the key in the run position some fuses dont get power until the key is in the run position
Old 12-17-2010, 06:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

The ignition switch itself is still in play here. Juice goes from the ignition switch, to the ASD relay, to the coil and other components.

Check for power at the socket of the ASD relay. If you have no power, I'd suspect the ignition switch itself.