Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

no power no start

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default no power no start

cant find anything that fits on the threads. i have 94 xj 4.0. i went to the store a few months ago and it ran fine getting there but when i went to go home i started it up and it ran and sounded like crap parked it and it hs sat there for a few months only started it a few times to show the problems. i just went to start it to show a mechanic buddy and i have no power tried jumping it and there is nothing no dash guages are alive no buzzer saying the keys are in the ignition and the door is open. there is however a tiny indicator light that flashes on the stereo. only when we connect the jumper cables directly to the terminals bypassing completely the old battery in my jeep. im stumped any thoughts?
Old 03-27-2012, 12:12 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder

Originally Posted by armyt.w.a.t34
cant find anything that fits on the threads. i have 94 xj 4.0. i went to the store a few months ago and it ran fine getting there but when i went to go home i started it up and it ran and sounded like crap parked it and it hs sat there for a few months only started it a few times to show the problems. i just went to start it to show a mechanic buddy and i have no power tried jumping it and there is nothing no dash guages are alive no buzzer saying the keys are in the ignition and the door is open. there is however a tiny indicator light that flashes on the stereo. only when we connect the jumper cables directly to the terminals bypassing completely the old battery in my jeep. im stumped any thoughts?
I would check the ground and positive that goes to the starter could have a bad connection it's wired that No power is going thru the system
Could have an alarm that's causing trouble

Last edited by stev-o; 03-27-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Originally Posted by armyt.w.a.t34
only when we connect the jumper cables directly to the terminals bypassing completely the old battery in my jeep.
X2^
??? Are you saying it gets power when you (clamp power), to it? That's just your terminals! That thin greyish coating of oxidization is a pretty good insulator. I just use a pocket knife, (gently), for the insides, a wire brush or about anything for the posts. I think I've done those with a rock!
Old 03-28-2012, 01:10 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder

Originally Posted by DFlintstone

X2^
??? Are you saying it gets power when you (clamp power), to it? That's just your terminals! That thin greyish coating of oxidization is a pretty good insulator. I just use a pocket knife, (gently), for the insides, a wire brush or about anything for the posts. I think I've done those with a rock!
He's not getting power at all wen jumping it