Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

no power to headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Angry no power to headlights

so my lights started doing the common problem of flickering randomly. i checked all my grounds, cleaned the contacts and replaced my dimmer switch and headlight switch twice also got new headlights. checked the altenator and the battery they are fine. so now after all that my headlights wont even turn on. so i ran through all the wires with a tester. my relays are fine and fuse as well. come to find out im not getting power to the three fuses under the steering column that deal with the lights. clearly a short but cant find it. any advice? anything helps thanks
Old 03-14-2011, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996 Sport
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

hey man.... what year cherokee and do the high beams work?.... if all else is good like you say, and high beams work, then perhaps it's your turn/high beam lever switch - yeah, the plastic connector is crap and as it gets old it cracks/breaks causing shorts! when i had the issue, i managed to jump the connection in the lever and got my low beams back but it wouldn't pass inspection cause you had to hold the lever back for high beams to stay on - no big deal for me - so, i had to order an oem turn/high beam lever switch and replace it to pass inspection (btw, the new switch is crappy too, but it doesn't short out - i.e. i don't lose my low beams randomly while driving at night!!) .... good luck!