Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

NO Power to amplifier in 98 cherokee sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default NO Power to amplifier in 98 cherokee sport

I have no power to my amplifier at alll, i thought i ahd a good ground but i dont know a good place for the ground wire......everything is hooked up as best as it can be but still no power....any tips?
Old 03-22-2009, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

do you have a fuse on your positive power line? have you checked that?
Old 03-23-2009, 05:50 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Liter L6

All depends on where you located the amp... Seat belt bolt, or the spare tire support are usually good places for a ground. just loosen one bolt and put your terminal there... Make sure you clean it a bit for a good connection though. Other than that, I agree to check your fuse and the terminal from the positive side under the hood.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:56 AM

I checked all fuses, everything seems to be fine, i used a volt tester the 4 gauge wire and ground are real good connections. i seem to have no power to my remote wire....would there be a setting on my deck for the remote wire?
Old 03-23-2009, 12:18 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4L 6-CYL

Originally Posted by richie014
I checked all fuses, everything seems to be fine, i used a volt tester the 4 gauge wire and ground are real good connections. i seem to have no power to my remote wire....would there be a setting on my deck for the remote wire?
Is the remote wire connected to the head unit harness?
Old 03-24-2009, 01:52 PM

yes, i have a strong connection from head unit all the way to amp.....i power with ground and 4 gauge in the amp but still none from the remote.....ive been screwing with it for days now, just becomming a major pain in the ***
Old 03-24-2009, 02:30 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but when I get frustrated with these projects, I try to start fresh. Before I dug into the amp connections, check to make sure the deck setting for hte amp is turned on. Every deck I've seen has an option to turn the amp off or not receive signal from the amp. If that is on and you still aren't getting power, I would test the amp to see if it works. My amp has a little LED light on it that shows it is receiving power. You could also swap your amp with a buddy's whose system worked with his amp.After that, I'd start digging into my wiring. Look over your wiring very carefully (as I'm sure you already have), but make sure it is wired like this: http://www.caraudiohelp.com/how_to_i..._a_car_amp.htm. Although it is a generic diagram, there are some good reminders in the text. I would also check the fuse that is on the positive cable running from the battery to the amp itself (not on the fuse block). If that looks good, I would move my ground around to ensure I'm well grounded.

s
Old 03-26-2010, 11:14 AM

Engine: 4.0L v6

I'm having the same problem with my 98 Cherokee Country.

I did the exact same wiring as I did with my 94 cherokee sport, At first I grounded the amp on the Jack underneath the back seat, I took the twist bolt off and put it on that. It didn't work as it did before. I then grounded it under the bolt on the spare tire support. Still no power.

I checked my fuse on the power cord going to the battery. Still nothing...

My amp does have a fuse on it but I can't figure it out, when I try to take it out the top pulls off and can't tell if there is even a fuse in in.

I just bought this set-up like 4 days ago and tested it out and it all worked.

I don't know what is wrong.

There is a power light on the amp and it won't turn on for anything.

The amp is a Brutus or Brutis? Hiphonics 1200w amp.

Running a 6gage wire, not sure if that does anything, says it's made for 1200w amps.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:24 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by richie014
yes, i have a strong connection from head unit all the way to amp.....i power with ground and 4 gauge in the amp but still none from the remote.....ive been screwing with it for days now, just becomming a major pain in the ***
I have learned that some head units will only supply voltage to the amp turn on or power antenna when the radio is on (Pretty stupid if you ask me) but anyway when I used to put a CD in, the amps would shut off so I had to run them to an ignition source...Tj
Old 03-26-2010, 11:30 AM

Engine: 4.0L v6

Originally Posted by TrekkerJmm
I have learned that some head units will only supply voltage to the amp turn on or power antenna when the radio is on (Pretty stupid if you ask me) but anyway when I used to put a CD in, the amps would shut off so I had to run them to an ignition source...Tj

I just realized I don't think I hooked that wire up yet...

Would that make it so the amp don't even turn on?

If so that's my problem.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Yea... the amp won't turn on without 12V at the signal wire (as well as the + terminal)...

Edit:
As mentioned, once you hook the signal wire up to your harness, your amp still may not work. If not, be sure to check all the "Inputs" (i.e. CD, AM/FM) SPECIFICALLY AM/FM on the head unit for sound. If it only works on AM/FM, then you have your Amp signal wire hooked up to the power antenna lead (both are blue wires IIRC).

Last edited by TheNerd; 03-26-2010 at 02:14 PM. Reason: More info
Old 03-26-2010, 04:09 PM

try hitting the tiny manual reset button on the head unit.. you head unit is not sending the signal for some reason the reset should change back to factory specs and they all come with the signal wire "hot" turned on.. give it a shot