Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No O/D

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default No O/D

OK, so I've had quite an adventure with my little XJ honey. I had a no start issue...did some research on here...replaced CPS....then it all started....no gauge cluster function, tranny couldn't find a gear and stalled at stop....I unplugged tranny from TCU and have been shifting semi-auto style for a while now.....OK, so after getting really tired of no knowing how much gas I had I started looking for a cure to the no gauge issue.....found a loose ground from the CPS change out....all gauges functioning now....I guess I forgot to plug in the TCU and check the tranny one more time so assumed a greater issue existed there. Being post divorce and broke I've just lived with the semi-auto deal but I needed an inspection but with the CEL on it wouldn't pass. Took it to the transmission shop and got good news....they plugged TCU back in, read and cleared the codes, test drove it and all is good. Asked them to drive it some more just to be sure. Got a call, they drove it again and all is still good.....SO, I go to pick it up......the first thing upon cranking it the CEL comes on and as I drive down the interstate towards home I notice no O/D. Got home, read the codes...I have my own code reader.....705 and 715 I believe.....705 for sure....anyway....been reading on here, without conclusive answers, the the TPS might be bad and wondering if y'all think that's what's going on here. I did a short test drive and so far the CEL is still off....no codes being thrown....just odd that they did it after the tranny shop cleared the vehicle.......

Thoughts as to what I need to do? Oh, it shifts like new 1-3 gears....just won't hit O/D and everything else seems to be working as normal.

Last edited by coolbrz64; 10-29-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

P0705 is the "transmission range sensor", Neutral safety switch (NSS)
It may be messing with your overdrive. Not too difficult to remove and clean.

P0715 is the speed sensor. Probably the one located on the side of the trans, near the transfer case linkage. I'd think you'd have more serious shifting problems if it were actually bad. Clean the NSS first and see if the 715 also goes away.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:37 AM
CF Veteran

my '97 was having intermittent OD shifts for a few weeks, finally got a code.. and it was 705. just yest, i pulled the nss out, cleaned it, sanded the copper contacts clean, and now my cel is gone, my reverse lights come on, and i have solid OD.

took me about an hour. cake job, just be careful pulling it out. try that first. cost me $1.87 for the lithium grease.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:01 PM

Thanks for the info.....I will check the NSS.....I put a new speed sensor in when I was doing all the afore mentioned stuff so doubt it's a problem...probably a side affect like suggested.