Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No more AC!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default No more AC!

last year my AC started to fail on me but since it was later summer I didn't mind. So over the past few months I was noticing a little whine coming from the front. After pinpointing it down to my AC pump I was presses with the question fix it or ditch it. My local Napa had a bypass pulley for $45, vs the couple hundred I was estimating the cost of getting my interior cold again. So I did it. And what a difference it has made.
No more whine, roughly 50LBS of the front end and a nice vacant area to relocate my intake to(nice fresh air off the mechanical fan) with that switch I now will have room for a second battery. I would recommend it to any one having issues with their AC.

Oh yeah when pulling out the condenser, I found dried up mud between it and the radiator. This will be a big help to keeping the engine temp down.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Long Island XJ
l a nice vacant area to relocate my intake to(nice fresh air off the mechanical fan)
fresh warm air tho,...

when I bought my XJ the A'c didnt work, so i did the A/c -> Onboard Air mod. Very useful mod.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Hell, my AC still doesn't work! 255 all the time.

2 windows down. 55 miles an hour.