Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No injector pulse

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default No injector pulse

Okay I bought this Cherokee it had no spark. It has new icm, distributor, coil, cam angle sensor, crankshaft position sensor. I had no spark I replaced the flex plate because it had the one with less holes in it looked like it was for the wrong year the one I ordered looked right. Put that it still nothing then I plugged the crank sensor into a different connector and I now have spark. I dump some fuel in the intake it fires up but runs bad misfiring through the intake and exhaust. It won't start on it own and it doesn't always start. Fuel pressure is 39 psi. I have no power to injectors with key on and I have no injector pulse I also have a weak irregular spark... Any ideas?
Old 01-17-2017, 06:24 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Note from DJ
First of welcome to the Cherokee Forum

I checked your profile for the more important information and it was not there.
What is the year of your Cherokee?
What engine does it have; a wild guess is 4.0L I6.
Transmission is guessing an AW4 automatic in that you mentioned replacing the flexplate.
On the subject of replacing the flexplate what holes are you talking about?
Always remember we not there with you looking at your Jeep.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0 I6

Sorry about that I am new to using help forums. It is a 1988 Jeep Cherokee with the I6 4.0 engine automatic transmission. The guy I got the Jeep from had done a motor swap and never got it running he said it was from the same year Cherokee I did some reaserch and noticed my flex plate was not the same as the ones from 88-91

Old one that was in it

New one that I intalled

There are new symptoms I have found if started with starting fluid it will fire and run horrible. I have injector pulse to all cylinders checked with noide light. I have weak to irregular spark in some of the cylinders as well. Check by pulling plug wire while it was running and grounded to block. My battery ground is going to the body and I have my engine ground going to the spot on the body so I know I have good grounds.