Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

no headlights/turn signals or hazards

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: v6 4.0
Default no headlights/turn signals or hazards

i recently put a new lift on my jeep it sat for around 2 weeks everything worked fine now i have no headlights hazard lights or turn signals my driver one worked for a bit but now nothing when i turn on any of these things my high beam light comes on and my turn signal lights light up on my dash but nothing outside of vehicle works i have been experiencing this problem for a few weeks now and i have got my headlights to work a few times usually after bombing the **** out of it but that after i turn them off they wont work again i have replaced my headlight/dimmer switch and changed the relay but still nothing i have read alot of forums about healight problems but no one is experiencing all these at one time im hoping its a bad ground any ideas?
Old 05-31-2012, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 HO

Because you're getting indicators on the dash, I really think you're right about it being a ground issue. If the power can't find a ground good enough to light the lamps it will back-feed thru the indicators, lighting them up.

Start at the battery and firewall. Take the ground screws all the way out, clean the terminal rings and the sheet metal and use AL-OX or a product like that when you re-assemble it.
I know it's a chore but if you do it right the first time, you'll never have to do it again.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: v6 4.0

i checked grounds and bulbs everything seems ok my tester wouldnt work so couldnt test to see if i was getting power to light gonna go get a new one but im thinking theres got to be something unplugged or getting bad connection somewhere because there doing different stuff everyday and they have worked twice sense in the last week but then as soon as i shut them off they wont work again but really need to figure it out this is my daily driver and really need turn signals and lights!! any other ideas would be appreciated