Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No front tail lights or turn signals in my 89

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 straight 6
Default No front tail lights or turn signals in my 89

now that i fixed the no tail and dash lights at all problem i have another no turn signals front and back on left or right i also seem to not have any tail lights out of those same lights but they flash with 4 ways on any ideas darn cherokee its weird because when i had the 4 way flasher in the turn flasher slot both worked
Old 10-14-2009, 07:54 PM

Engine: 4.0L I6

did you replace the flasher or did u just throw in the 4 way into turn signal flasher spot?
Old 10-14-2009, 09:06 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: straight 6

I had troubles with brake lights, turn signals, flashers, everything you could think of, turned out to be fuses that had corroded legs on them. Put in new fuses even though they look ok and try it.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Yeah dan thats what i did put it in the turn flasher slot and no i havent checked my fuses and no they werent corroded
Old 10-16-2009, 12:14 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Try the fuses first, but it is often a bad ground at either the front parking light area or the rear tail light area. I have had to fix both of those grounds.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Should i just replace the turn signal flasher first and see if a new one fixes it i mean its wierd everything worked when i swapped the 2 flashers my roomie tells me flashers are that expensive anyways its prollysomething stupid. maybe from the 3rd brake light wires shorting the tail ights out it caused the flasher to burn up idk
Old 10-16-2009, 01:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Originally Posted by 4wheeldrivenewbie
No front tail lights.....

I have the same problem.... mine wasn't equipped with any. Illegal I think..

Just kiddin with ya, don't me...

I would replace the flasher, as they are fairly cheap and easy to get to. If it was the turn signal switch (on column) it wouldn't work no matter what flasher you put in there. Good luck... keep us updated.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:21 PM

Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0L

Start with the obvious, fuses, if not, then move to check the bulbs.

Mine was that the switch was bad, so I had headlamps, but no turnlights. Replaced the switch, 20 bucks, and a little reading on how to take it out and good to go!!!
Old 10-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Seasoned Member

well the front bulbs looked good i looked there double fillament orange bulbs and i just replaced the back bulbs so ill have to track down a flasher az dont have it maybe cq
Old 10-20-2009, 01:15 AM
Seasoned Member

well good news i got everything working again i replaced the flasher and figured id try my tail lights again so i pulled switch and my front tail lights seemed to work i noticed one dash turn signal light went out but the right was still on bright i tryed my turn signal and no right front but the rest lights were working other three so i determened my bulb in the front right was either bad or a ground so i figured id just try the right bulb in the left socket and it worked so i knew it was a bad ground somewhere in the front wireing the front right side tail light cuz i was getting no light on right tail and when i hit turn signal to right was steady on so i was like wat the heck with my pops we took a meter to it and stuck one end in the ground wire nothing so we took a wire one leg of the meter and jammed it into the ground wire going into the socket theres three wires blue black etc took one end of the meter wire and touched it to some front chassis metal and bingo bulb lit up so i tryed turn signal right and bingo then i figure to further test for sure to not miss anything strip alil piece of ground wire off alil before the back of the socket and connect a wire and ground it everything worked so it had to be something to do with the socket plug the ground in there we scrapped alil on the terminals still nothing after calling az they dident have the part i needed the guy said try vip so i called them and a lady there said yeah we have some sockets i said i need one fits 2057 i went there one girl dident even know they carryed light socket other girl i assume i spoke with on phone said yeah there over there the girl said yeah either this one or and grabbed one yeah this one takes 57 so i was thinking what the heck she dont even know the store carrys tail/parkinglight light sockets but she somehow knew once her coworker told her that they sold em which socket fit 2057 bulb right off i almost bought the first one she found but i looked closely and the end of the socket plastic dident seem to look like it was wide enough in the grooves to lock into my tail light housing so i looked alil the girl skimmed buy one and said thats prolly for a trailer setup then i dude that was wit me noticed that the first plastic grooved socket might not lock in the same to the housin prolly not all the way and pop out so we found this metal one and it looked wider in the grooves looked like it would lock in better 3 wire it was the same one i first noticed that the girl said was prolly for a trailer setup so i ended up grabbing that turns out it was a buck cheaper then the first one i bought brang it home bingo it fit into the stock housing then i also noticed the metal socket had crimp on's at the end of the 3 wires witch was handy in a way the plastic socket was just wire u had to strip i just crimped everything is working now onto rocker panels