Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

NO BUS ON DASH (tried common solutions)

Old 10-08-2012, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default NO BUS ON DASH (truck runs & starts fine)

Hello,
2001 sport auto4 2wd.
Sorry to post this again I know there's a ton of threads on this but I looked thru a bunch and couldn't find any help.
Here's the situation....... It was intermittent for a bit (used the tried and true Bang the Dash) that worked for a bit then searched here.... I tore the whole dash apart got the gage cluster out and cleaned the "2" plugs that go into the back of cluster NO JOY. soooo not sure what to do. Truck runs shifts and starts fine just no gages. Ran outa gas twice and am sick of it LOL but can't afford a tech to chase the problem down. How often do the gage cluster go bad? ALSO I noticed that the "2" plugs on the cluster only the left one if looking at dash does anything. Plug it in and gages lite up the no bus a few arcs later. Right plug does nothing except make my power locks not "lock" when its not plugged into the cluster...?!?!? not sure about that one. Is that my problem maybe right plug connector not working? and what to do about it. Looks clean and cleaned it with electrical cleaner anyways. is there a way to TEST the Cluster to see if its the problem before I go buy one I cant return used...??? second pic is where the 2 cluster plugs goto but behond that im not sure everythings plugged in good. do I just have a bad gage cluster? it went out all at once intermitently but all gages not just some . any help would be great am on a tight budget and dont have time for a tech to charge me a few hours labor chasing this down lol
Attached Thumbnails NO BUS ON DASH (tried common solutions)-new-358.jpg   NO BUS ON DASH (tried common solutions)-new-360.jpg  

Last edited by dssorc68; 10-08-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by dssorc68
Hello,
Sorry to post this again I know there's a ton of threads on this but I looked thru a bunch and couldn't find any help.
Here's the situation....... It was intermittent for a bit (used the tried and true Bang the Dash) that worked for a bit then searched here.... I tore the whole dash apart got the gage cluster out and cleaned the "2" plugs that go into the back of cluster NO JOY. soooo not sure what to do. Truck runs shifts and starts fine just no gages. Ran outa gas twice and am sick of it LOL but can't afford a tech to chase the problem down. How often do the gage cluster go bad? ALSO I noticed that the "2" plugs on the cluster only the left one if looking at dash does anything. Plug it in and gages lite up the no bus a few arcs later. Right plug does nothing. Is that my problem maybe and what to do about it. Looks clean and cleaned it with electrical cleaner anyways. Sorry for the WALL of TEXT but needed to explain what I did so far.
What year XJ? What transmission?
Old 10-08-2012, 12:09 PM

Sorry 2001 sport 4dr 2wd. Really wondering why the "right" plug does nothing when I put it back to the gage cluster. The left powers up the cluster and then a few arcs later the no bus is back. Could the right plug be bad? Cleaned it It's looks good same as right. Chased it down to where it plugs into a unit under dash seats there fine to. Gages lite up and kinda move for a sec when power is turned on..... Should I go get a used cluster to see if that's the case or a new.right plug harness?
Old 10-08-2012, 02:50 PM

whats the best place to order a used gage cluster cheap???
Old 10-08-2012, 03:53 PM

if the cluster lights up what first started and all gages flick for a sec its good right? isnt that a test when It first starts? really dont wana have to buy a new or used cluster if I dont have to. is there a way to test it? this is driving me crazy I wish I knew what it was so I cud just replace it. anyone know aht plug does what on the cluster? theres 2 in the back. the left one appears to power it and the right does nothing i can tell from plugging it in or out except keep my power locks from working when its Out...? whast that got to do with locks?