Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

No brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default No brake lights

sorry title should say no break lights
Fist off hey guys, I am new to the forum. Finally found me a jeep after looking for a year. Its a 91 Cherokee 5 speed, 4X4 2 door. Got it with 169,103 miles single owner. had for 3 weeks now no issues. (not my bday)

now to my pop up issue, I was told today by another driver that I had no break lights, (just got inspected 2-3 weeks ago). When I got home I started looking into it. Paid for a FSM and looked at wire diagram.

12v at both sides of fuse

do not have 12v at clip for break switch (middle wire out of the 3)

removed break switch and tested contact continuity, 2 outer loose connection and middle (beak light switch wires) then make connection.

check ground via continuity from the connection the switch plugs into to ground

Does it get 12v from ignition switch? that is what the wire diagram makes it look like. If so would my wire may be broken at ignition switch? is their another connection before that plug that would break 12v?

thank you guys for the help. I am working on it now, so I can take any pic or test anything yall recommend.

thanks again.

Last edited by 2gGst98; 09-08-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:37 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

They work with or without the key on.

Can you jumper the contacts at the switch plug and see if they come on?
Old 09-09-2017, 09:06 AM

they do not work with key on. I have the 6 prong break switch. I have 12v at 2 outer wires (I think 1 is hazards not sure of other). I do not have 12v at middle wire that is for the break lights. I have checked the fuse and have 12v at both sides. I have removed the switch, took switch cover apart and tested contacts individually. I have tested ground through the wire from the switch all the way to the lights. I have not jumped the known 12v wire to the wire going to the lights yet, it got late and I was reading too much lol.

I read the wire goes through the turn signal switch on the steering column. is this before it goes to the break switch or after?
Old 09-09-2017, 09:46 AM

well I gave myself a temp fix. My power wire to the brake switch isn't giving power. I snagged power from hazards for now powering my brake switch. I would like to know why I don't have power on that 1 wire but do on the other 3.

does anyone know where does that power wire come from? it doesn't really show in the FSM.