Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Newbie with lift questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L straight 6
Default Newbie with lift questions

Hi everyone, I've had my XJ for over a year now and its time to give it a little lift. I'm looking at lifting it only about 2" because its my daily driver and I'm on a college student's budget. I've never done this before, so I have some questions:

1) Are the poly spring spacers an efficient way to get 2" of lift?
2) whats better for the rear, add-a-leaf or shackles?
3) is raising it 2" going to be noticeable enough to matter?
4) is this going to ruin the ride?

thanks in advance!
Old 01-13-2010, 02:58 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: I6

i'd say shackles are better than addd a leafs, i got an add a leaf and it picked it up for a weak then started sagging again, so i put 2 inch shackles and their perfect. i have a 3 inch lift by the way, look at my pics to see what a 3 inch lift and 2 inch shackles in the back looks like. so 3 in in front and 5 inch in back + 31 inch BFG A/T Tires. it wont ruin the ride, all jeeps ride rough. With the spacers you may need to buy longer shocks and extend the brake lines, but im not for sure. someone will chime in on these questions and know more than me. i have the pro comp 3 inch springs in front and rough country leafs with 2 inch shackles. I think its when you get bigger springs instead of stock does the ride get a tad rougher. you will be able to tell it has some lift to it, 2 inch wont do a TON but you will be able to tell. what size tires are you running? what do you plan on running?
Old 01-13-2010, 04:27 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm running 235's now, and they're in good shape still. I plan on going with 30's for the next set most likely.

p.s.
I checked out your pics, nice rig! Also...very nice sound system!

Last edited by 2000xj08; 01-13-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:41 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

spacers wont effect the ride much at all. as far as AAL's it all depends on how your springs look now. if they still have arch under a load just do shackles. If they are flat you might consider either new stock springs and some shackles or an actual lift kit w/ full packs. just because if your springs are bad enough the longer shackles will just make it worse.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:03 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 2000xj08
Hi everyone, I've had my XJ for over a year now and its time to give it a little lift. I'm looking at lifting it only about 2" because its my daily driver and I'm on a college student's budget. I've never done this before, so I have some questions:

Yes, They're cheap too
like others have said, it depends on the current condition of your stock springs, if they're sagging an AAL will help for a while but they will sag again. The hands down best way to get lift in the rear is full leaf packs
Yes and no, with 2" you can fit 31s with trimming and it will give you a little big of ground clearance but it won't be super noticable
It'll ride a little rougher due to non-flat Control arm angles in the front and an AAL in the rear will put your spring rate through the roof. Its a Jeep though, don't expect it to ride like a Cadillac

thanks in advance!
Answers in the quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by 2000xj08

thanks in advance!
Well I'm in college too so I feel for you on this one. The spacers and shackles are the most common combo. The aal will be good if your rear springs are sagging to give them a little face lift lol. The 2" lift will have no effect on the ride quality at all. I run 3" and have no problems at all. The 2" will be noticeable aand you can put bigger rubber under it. Check out rough country for really good prices and quality. I've had my Rough Country lift for four yeasrs now and I love it so you won't be sorry.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:16 PM

Thanks for all the info guys! I think I'm gonna go ahead and do the 2" with the spacers in front and shackles in rear. I'll post pics when i get it done!