Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

newbie belt question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Default newbie belt question

Hey,
totally new to this forum and to Jeeps. I've worked alot on my 1982 landcruiser but I inherited a 96 cherokee from my mother and things are a little different. Is there anything special I should know about changing the serpentine belt? I got the old on off but can't seem to get the power steering pump to adjust inwards enought to fit the new belt. I went so far as to remove the bolts so the thing is totally loose. I'm begining to wonder if advance sold me a wrong sized belt.
TIA
Old 03-12-2010, 05:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: Jeepless at the moment

hold the new up with the old one to see if they are the same length, I have to ask... do you have the routing correct?
Old 03-12-2010, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by fishtaconc
hold the new up with the old one to see if they are the same length, I have to ask... do you have the routing correct?
thanks for replying. I was working from Haynes and checked it according to the diagram. I think I got it right. certainly worth double checking. I'll have to check the length tomorrow.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:18 PM
CF Veteran

Year: Jeepless at the moment

no problem..... Ive done it myself...also its possible that the belt was in the sleeve from the store, I used to work at advance people would compare the belts and open multiple belts and put back wrong

Last edited by fishtaconc; 03-12-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:57 PM

well, 2 wrong size belts later, I am working with the third. took to old one in to match parts. the length looks right but its barely going over the pulley wheels. got it threaded right as far as I can tell. When I reinstalled the old one it went right over. seems like the new one should do that too. Its totally tight. so tight I'm afraid to crank it. Is this normal? other things I might be doing wrong?
Old 03-13-2010, 04:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l

The new one will be tighter than the old one, belts stretch over time. The tension can be adjusted at the PS pump, but one thing to remember is that XJ's like a really tight belt. If you don't set it tight enough, the belt will start to churp and if that isn't taken care of right away, it will never stop no matter how tight and you'll have to get another belt. Rule of thumb that I've heard and it works for me is this; when you can't twist the belt 90 degrees between the PS pump and the idler, the belt tension is good. Stick with Gates(carquest, napa) brand belts too, they don't stretch nearly as much as a Gatorback or a Goodyear and grip much better. The search function will bring up lots of info
Old 03-13-2010, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by EVcherokee
The new one will be tighter than the old one, belts stretch over time. The tension can be adjusted at the PS pump, but one thing to remember is that XJ's like a really tight belt. If you don't set it tight enough, the belt will start to churp and if that isn't taken care of right away, it will never stop no matter how tight and you'll have to get another belt. Rule of thumb that I've heard and it works for me is this; when you can't twist the belt 90 degrees between the PS pump and the idler, the belt tension is good. Stick with Gates(carquest, napa) brand belts too, they don't stretch nearly as much as a Gatorback or a Goodyear and grip much better. The search function will bring up lots of info

I got a napa belt. its real tight w/o adjustment. Mine is a cherokee sport 2door, 4.0 straight 6. do they like the belt real tight too?
Old 03-13-2010, 05:49 PM

napa belt is the wrong one too. seems like finding a part for an american car shouldn't be this hard. this one is the right length but slightly too wide and won't stay on the pulleys. anyone have a part # for the right belt?
Old 03-13-2010, 06:57 PM

never mind. found the right belt. went right in. saga over. turns out mine uses a belt for a '95.
new question. the center idler pulley is rattling like maybe it has a bad bearing. Is it supposed to be a little loose or should I replace it or the bearing?
Old 03-14-2010, 03:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by loneranger
never mind. found the right belt. went right in. saga over. turns out mine uses a belt for a '95.
new question. the center idler pulley is rattling like maybe it has a bad bearing. Is it supposed to be a little loose or should I replace it or the bearing?
Try rocking the pulley side to side, a little play is normal, but if it feels sloppy or if it rotates and makes noise, or feels "lumpy" when turned, its likely a bad bearing. It will start wearing on your new belt so I'd get it fixed asap. If its the water pump be sure to get a new one, not reman.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 93
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

Did you loosen both bolts on the back of the power steering pump? I did mine a couple weeks ago, and I almost started to pry on the pump to get it to come loose, then I realized I didn't loosen both of them. Four bolts should be loosened.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by rollingstone
Did you loosen both bolts on the back of the power steering pump? I did mine a couple weeks ago, and I almost started to pry on the pump to get it to come loose, then I realized I didn't loosen both of them. Four bolts should be loosened.

yes. all of them. I just had the wrong size belt. it s fine now. thanks for all the replies.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:30 AM

got to know my new jeep a little better. drive belt replacement turned into water pump replacement. now shes as quiet as a sleeping kitten. the vibration noise had gotten so bad, i thought something was up with the transmission. thanks for the input. off to texas tomorrow in the cherokee.