Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New XJ - Testing the 4WD / Good Price?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default New XJ - Testing the 4WD / Good Price?

Greetings All -

New member here, and hopefully by the end of this week I'll be driving myself a new XJ.

I've searched and found some good info regarding purchasing a used XJ, however I didn't find the answer to this specific question, which is how do I thoroughly test out the 4WD if there are no dirt roads directly near the dealer? I want to make sure that I'm not buying an XJ that needs a lot of work, especially at the price this guy is asking.

I'm thinking the price may be a little high. He wants 7 grand, it is a 2000 4WD, I6, Sport Freedom, Automatic, Air, Tilt, Power, no cruise (I will add an aftermarket kit and found and bookmarked that post), with 92k miles and the rear main seal(?) was just replaced along with new front brakes.

The body doesn't have any major dings, however the paint is not the best on the hood, a little cracked. Other than that, it is in darn good shape.

Thanks in advance for your help, it is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Dealership have a lift? Does it have the fulltime 4wd option?

Anyway, pop it in 4wd, you should feel some resistance when turning... do this carefully and not fully cranked. It should feel like it wants to hop. If it does it's working.

Is this a Solar Yellow Freedom edition? They are pretty rare, but i "think" the price is a tad high if there is paint and body issues.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

That price is a bit high even for a 2000 model. Yeah, put it on a lift if one is available. Heck, when you test drive pull into a parking lot somewhere and crawl under it and take a look. You're looking for accessive rust, any oil leaks and ripples or damage to the frame. With the high miles and the body not being perfect, I'd get the dealer to come down on the price. Get a loan through your own bank and offer the dealer less, like 4.5 or 5K in cash and I bet he takes it. If you have a gravel parking lot close by, drive into it and put the XJ into 4HI. Goose the gas pedal and make it spin. The difference between back wheels spinning and front wheels spinning is very obvious. I'm not saying to do donuts and make a big mess or do damage. Just do a quick spin to see if your front wheels are digging. This will let you know your 4x4 is working.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the quick reply and your advice on how to test the 4WD

Nope, no lift and it does not have the full time 4wd option.

It is white in color, and the body over all is in good shape with no dents, just a few small dings here and there. Paint is good, except for what I've mentioned about the hood.

I too think the price is high, I am thinking it is worth about 6 grand...

Is there anything else in particular I should look for while considering this Jeep? Are 2000's prone to any issues in particular?

Again, thanks for the help. It's the experience and knowledge of others who help those of us who are just starting out down this road - it's much appreciated
Old 12-28-2008, 11:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Comanche
Engine: I6 4.0L

My mom bought me one over the summer basicly the same as this one you are considering. 2000, Limited, full leather, top of the line has everything except heated seats, little more miles wise it had 99,000 mine also has the full time so a different T case but thats not important. Price wise it was priced at 6500. However we talked them down to 6K with all title licese all fees so it was more like 5500. So i'd say try to talk them down a bit. This is in michigan BTW
Old 12-28-2008, 11:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L I6

Is there anything else in particular I should look for while considering this Jeep? Are 2000's prone to any issues in particular?
cracked heads are very common with 00's and 01's...
Old 12-28-2008, 11:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992, 2- 1998 (All 3, 4 Doors)
Engine: 4.0L in all

Originally Posted by 00XJsport
cracked heads are very common with 00's and 01's...
lol And I was just gonna mention the problem with every Jeep...
Overheating....
Old 12-28-2008, 11:33 PM
CF Veteran

Model: Wagoneer

i wouldnt purchase an xj for 7 grand, it would have to be perfect with the economy the way it is, he'll be lucky to get 5 grand.
now this is just my .02
Old 12-30-2008, 01:04 AM

Thanks a bunch guys, after reading all of the replies I have come to realize that even 6 grand is too high. The problem is that there aren't that many for sale around here... nonetheless, I have offered 5 g's and I'm waiting for the big decision -
Old 12-30-2008, 09:45 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

It pays to be patient, if you can wait for it. I've been looking for 4 months and have come close to buying a couple of times. If you are willing to pay 7k, you probably will not have to wait as long as me. I'd consider thinking about what you're looking to do with the XJ (e.g., road pony, weekend warrior, trail rig, dedicated mud machine, rock crawling, etc.). With 7k to play with, you could probably get a really nice 97 with the lift you're looking for and aftermarket bumpers if you are patient. Getting it now sure saves on the cost of future mods. Just my .02 of course.

Your info doens't say where you are located, but check out craigslist.org and the local autotrader magazine and get a feel for the market in your area. XJ's are tricky because their book value does not always reflect theyr street value (at least that is what I've noticed).

s
Old 12-30-2008, 09:53 AM
CF Veteran

Model: Wagoneer

i looked for about 6 months. didnt know what i wanted at all. was gonna use my tax refund to buy. then i saw all the mods and thought, why buy a perfect xj when i can build an offroad xj, not trail, but offroad. so i got that and ran with it. i bought my jeep for 500 bucks, now im junkyardin it for the lift, wheels, and tires. ive done well with it, got about 620 bucks in her now and will get the lift on when the wheels get done being painted.
are you willing to wrench a little? (if not, look for something not in the JEEP class)
what are you going to use it for? (offroad, your nuts spending 5-6-7 g's)
what do you want to do to the vehicle? ( lift, tires, stereo... so on so on so on...)

Old 12-30-2008, 10:50 AM

All good questions, and thanks for helping me think a little more clearly on what I'll be doing with this XJ.

I have no problem wrenching on it a little, having the spare time to do that will be the biggest issue there.

As far as off-roading goes, living in NorCal I have wheeled on the Rubicon in a Toyota 4X4 that I used to own, had a helluva lot of fun, but I don't plan on doing anything that heavy with this truck. Mostly just using the XJ to get me into camping spots that 2WD can't get to, along with the occasional weekend off-road trip.

I know I'd like to get a lift on it and raise it up some, add some good tires, but that's about it as far as the mods go.

While I'm waiting to hear back, I think I'll keep looking to see what else might be out there, even if I had to drive a little. Heck, I drove down to SoCal to pick up a Toyota truck saving myself 700 bucks over what I could find here in NorCal.

Thanks again for all of the feedback - it's appreciated.

Last edited by xj_jack; 12-30-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:13 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: I6

I just got a white 2000 Freedom with 34K for under $6K here in AZ. Had a small lift and BFG 31's.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My 2000 XJ Classic in great shape (interior looks brand new) and had under 71k miles and I got it for $5k even. It did take some time though, so I think the key is to be patient. I'd avoid dealers like the plauge and check Craigslist and other sources.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:22 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xj_jack
As far as off-roading goes, living in NorCal I have wheeled on the Rubicon in a Toyota 4X4 that I used to own, had a helluva lot of fun, but I don't plan on doing anything that heavy with this truck. Mostly just using the XJ to get me into camping spots that 2WD can't get to, along with the occasional weekend off-road trip.
Don't know where in NorCal exactly, but check out craigslist. Sounds like you could do well with any of the following:
http://redding.craigslist.org/cto/967694045.html -stock
http://redding.craigslist.org/cto/964413133.html -lifted with meats and more
http://redding.craigslist.org/cto/964079898.html -stock
http://redding.craigslist.org/ctd/958977853.html -3rd gen
http://redding.craigslist.org/cto/956939679.html
http://redding.craigslist.org/cto/954666209.html -lifted

None of these come in at $7k. Take them in to a mechanic for a quick one over and you may find yourself a bargain.

s

Quick Reply: New XJ - Testing the 4WD / Good Price?