Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New XJ owner questions!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 liter
Default New XJ owner questions!

Hello cherokee forum I just purchased my first cherokee and I need some advise. Its a 1990 with a 4.5'' rubicon express lift and 33s. The axles are still open with solid brand diff covers. I am going to make my own posi lock and weld the front diff. in the back I think I will get an aussie locker or lockrite. my question is how much of the vacuum lines can I take off. I hate having so many vacuum lines that are 20 years old if you know what i mean. I mainly want to clean it up under the hood (emissions crap). Also where can i get a decent priced locker? Any advise would be great! thanks
Old 06-10-2010, 11:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welding the front diff is a very bad idea if this vehicle will see any street use. Even on a trail only vehicle it is a bad idea because it will have a negative effect on your steering capability offroad.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by winston427
Welding the front diff is a very bad idea if this vehicle will see any street use. Even on a trail only vehicle it is a bad idea because it will have a negative effect on your steering capability offroad.
Thats what I keep reading. But I will be using a posi lock style acuator. Y will it turn harder in 2wd with the right side unlocked? Sure its spinning the axle and front driveshaft but only one wheel. I've done this to an FJ55 and a dana 60 on a chevy they seemed to turn fine offroad? The FJ did have lockouts tho for the road....
Old 06-11-2010, 12:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.7 Stroker I6

as for cleaning up the emissions crap under the hood, i just did mine. you can remove the egr valve and line, just run straight into the manifold. you can remove the that thing off to the left with the elect plug that goes into it, cap off the 2 lowers spots under where the fpr vaccum line goes on, take airbox out and rotate intake boot to the top right cowell and put a cone air filter, and put hose going from the front valve cover beather leading down near the bottom of the engine and put a little filter on it, so you dont have that nasty smoke in cabin. makes it cleaner in the engine bay and I noticed a smother and more consistant idle and posibly more power.

sorry if soem of that doesnt make sense, I dont know the names for everything, I just know what Im looking at when i see it, same kinda things I do to tuner cars, also im a bit drunk right now ^_^
Old 01-06-2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by darknezz
as for cleaning up the emissions crap under the hood, i just did mine. you can remove the egr valve and line, just run straight into the manifold. you can remove the that thing off to the left with the elect plug that goes into it, cap off the 2 lowers spots under where the fpr vaccum line goes on, take airbox out and rotate intake boot to the top right cowell and put a cone air filter, and put hose going from the front valve cover beather leading down near the bottom of the engine and put a little filter on it, so you dont have that nasty smoke in cabin. makes it cleaner in the engine bay and I noticed a smother and more consistant idle and posibly more power.

sorry if soem of that doesnt make sense, I dont know the names for everything, I just know what Im looking at when i see it, same kinda things I do to tuner cars, also im a bit drunk right now ^_^
Hey I know its been a while but do you have any pictures?? I deleted some stuff including the center axle disconnect because I installed a cable. Do you know how much the heater controls rely on vacuum? I would love do get rid of everything extra. trying to make it clean under the hood, and its just a trail rig so trying to make it simple you know... thanks