Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New User. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 242 4.0
Default New User. HELP!

Hello all, my name is Rusty and I've inherited an 88 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 4.0 from my mother. She purchased it in 2007 from an elderly man who used it as a daily and going back and forth to Florida from North Carolina a few times per year. Around 2003 he stopped driving it all together and left it sitting under a roof until 2007 when it was purchased. Since then, tons of work have been put into it including: new exhaust, 2 rear main seals, and a couple thousand $ more on various things. That Jeep is a trooper, being how it's been treated. My mother moved with it and the Jeep has sat since August of 2013. Now, the brake lines leak, it has a terrible miss, the spark plug threads are stripped and when the cylinders fire you can see the spark plugs move, it won't hold a charge, (The only way to start it is to jump-start, a charger won't give enough power) and the A/C refuses to take refrigerant, the auxiliary fan never turns on, it blows oil everywhere, (including on the air filter) and lastly, I had to replace the coolant overflow bottle, and now once it idles for 45 minutes, suddenly the coolant back washes into the bottle and overflows. I'd love to turn that Jeep into a nice one, Ex: 33's, loud exhaust, 6 inch lift, fender flares, Nerf bars, extra lights....etc, but first I need it to run like it should. Any suggestions? HELP!
Thanks
Old 04-06-2016, 01:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

Stripped spark plug hole(s) would be the biggest problem and will cause the miss and overheating. You could try re tapping or drill and heli coil. Not for the novice but do able to save head.

Starting charging, yeh batteries don't last very long just sitting. Replace it.

Brakes need a overhaul, rubber lines seem to deteriorate when not used. Anything rubber is suspect on a stored vehicle, Vacuum lines, fuel lines, cooling system hoses, rubber seals on motor, motor mounts, suspension components, o-rings in transmission etc etc. etc. etc.

Coolant overflow, did you burp the system ? Age and obvious abuse, points to a neglected radiator, flow problems, sludge build up.

Congratulations, I think this is the only time anyone has had every known problem of a Renix cherokee happen all at the same time. You didn't mention many electrical problems but I'm sure you probably haven't noticed them yet, being masked by all the other problems.

You tried to fix the AC before the other stuff ? you do know it takes r-12, not the 134a from a parts store.

Lastly, unless you know how to work on this yourself, A mechanics bill for all above will be in thousands to make it reliable transportation.. Might have more value as a part out vehicle. Fix motor problems first, then cooling problems. Use the search button and read, all your problems have been gone over for years. Post back with more specific of your current problem, focus on engine or something one at a time you'll get more replies.

Fill out your vehicle info,
Old 04-06-2016, 06:18 AM

I've replaced the battery multiple times, so I do believe there are wiring issues as well. What do you mean by "burp" the system? The radiator was replaced in 2010 with a new one. The reverse lights don't come on either, and lastly with electrical problems, the screen of the stock radio doesn't light up anymore. Not sure if that's electrical or just the radio dying. Also the auxiliary fan, if i didn't mention it doesn't turn on anymore.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:47 PM
Seasoned Member

The theory is air bubble in the head prevents proper coolant flow through system. The temp gauge sensor located on back of head on top is a good place to relieve this air bubble. I park on my steep driveway, backend uphill, and remove sensor til coolant is free flowing out hole, no more air pocket. Bottle and cap need to stay sealed for the system to work right.

Did you test for power to reverse lights ? NSS is probably the culprit if no power. It has an adjustment bolt or may be gunked up inside. Search for removal and cleaning procedure. Nice youtube vid on removal I seen recently.

Whats the deal on spark plugs ? I would say if you can't fix that problem you will never have good running motor regardless of the other problems. Save your time and money if that can't be fixed.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Oswalla

Whats the deal on spark plugs ? I would say if you can't fix that problem you will never have good running motor regardless of the other problems. Save your time and money if that can't be fixed.
I agree, that's the place to start. The rest of it is standard "old jeep" stuff, cooling system R&R, electrical refresh and rebuild, brake lines, etc.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:33 AM

The reverse lights have no power going to them, and as far as the spark plugs, I'm thinking helicoiling the threads. I'm just not sure what thread it is. Does anyone else know?
Old 04-07-2016, 01:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Stock plug is Champion RC9YC, some run a NGK. Renix seems to like these 2 best. Take a plug with you when you get the helicoil, no guessing.
http://www.sparkplug-crossreference....CHAMP_PN/RC9YC

I have never done a helicoil with head in place, apparently its do able. Antisieze on plugs is always a good idea. I would be inclined to not use plain old rtv, red loctite or jb weld the helicoil in place.

NSS can be adjusted and refurbushed to new, usually. Don't break it, body is fragile cheap metal.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:44 PM
Seasoned Member

If you don't have a multimeter, get one, you will be using it to test sensors and voltages. Like your alternator thats not charging, apparently.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:43 AM

Default Pictures

Old 04-14-2016, 02:58 PM
Seasoned Member

I was wandering how fixing the spark plug threads went. Looks pretty good for a '88. My '90 pretty much sat for the first 6 months while I worked out the kinks when I first got it 10 years ago
Old 04-15-2016, 09:28 AM

Unfortunately I still haven't gotten to it. Money is key, which I don't have at the moment.