Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

new steering box bad?

Old 12-04-2013, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default new steering box bad?

Hey Guys,

I bought a Cherokee a few months back that kept blowing power steering HP lines. Bought with one broke, and after replacing it 3 times, with 2 power steering pumps (thinking it was junk AutoZone parts) , I broke down and bought a new steering box (from AutoZone...). Well that did the trick to stop blowing lines but the steering never felt right to me. I still thought maybe it was the PS pump. I went to a junkyard and picked up a PS pump from a t-boned jeep to try and eliminate the PS all together.

So with all that being said. the symptoms I have is that it is really easy to turn, I mean you can breath on it and get it to turn. I backed off a little bit on the gear on the steering box to make a little play in it so every little twitch I had didn't turn the jeep. Even before that, it is noticeably easier to turn the wheel right then left. Also, the tires don't return to center after turning, I have to manually move it back, this could be alignment but has done it since I "fixed" the power steering system when I bought it. but with the steering really easy to turn, easier to turn right than left and possibly causing my steering not to return center, does this sound like a bad box? I am half tempted to just swap the box out for another AutoZone one but if this isn't caused by the box then obviously it would be a lot of work for nothing.

I am usually able to figure stuff out and this one has me stumped. This is the first time this has been like this to any of my Cherokee's ( I've owned 5 so far in my lifetime) and not able to figure it out, so any help will be much appreciated!
Old 12-04-2013, 09:15 PM

Here is a pic of my alignment specs when I bought the jeep. It is a 2000 with low pinion front axle. I don't know much about alignment so if something seems odd and could be causing my problem if it is not the box, then please let me know!
Attached Thumbnails new steering box bad?-20131204_210552.jpg  
Old 12-05-2013, 12:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I read this happens with autozone/advance auto Steering Boxes. Usually they are not up to spec.

sounds like it has a lot of drag on the box that's why it does not return to center ..this happened to me when I messed around with the adjustment screw

Old 12-05-2013, 01:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by puredrive
I read this happens with autozone/advance auto Steering Boxes. Usually they are not up to spec.
It isn't just them, most of the rebuilds out there are junk. Try another one.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:08 AM

Pure Drive, I have been messing with the steering adjustment screw and going in small increments, but literally could spin 3/4 each way from where it was "originally" and it didn't make a difference.

Radi, I think I am at the point of getting a new one. I am going to do a little more research first but ultimitely I am gonna have to replace it I think.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:32 AM

Year: 2001

I just put a new one on from orielys and it wasn't center and full lock to lock seems to happen with within like a half a turn of the wheel not complaining tho seems tight
Old 12-05-2013, 08:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by skrewy
I just put a new one on from orielys and it wasn't center and full lock to lock seems to happen with within like a half a turn of the wheel not complaining tho seems tight

My Jeep has 156K and recently it started to have the wandering driving symptom and the play in the steering. I simply adjusted the screw and it worked. But I know eventually I will have to replace the box.

Wondering if NAPA would be the way to go here..
Old 12-05-2013, 08:44 AM

Year: 2001

Couldn't tell ya mine worked fine just need an alignment